Thread: Hve a Trashed Chainsaw?

Hve a Trashed Chainsaw?

Chainsaw Top End Rebuild

Have a trashed chainsaw? Father-in-law is 84 and doesn’t see so well any more…don’t know what he put in the fuel tank but is sure scuffed the cylinder walls and piston to the point where the saw wouldn’t run any more.

A 20-year-old Stihl 026 Farm Boss worth maybe 250 bucks….not economically repairable at the saw shop. But I did find a NOS Stihl top end rebuild kit on Ebay for 50 bucks, a gasket set for 8 bucks and a service manual for another 8 bucks so for that amount it was worth doing. These rebuild kits are $135-150 retail from Stihl.

The new cylinder was the newer type with the compression release. Couldn’t find one on-line so I go see Howard at Belfair Power to see if he had an old trashed cylinder with one still in it I could recover. He didn’t, but pointed out that the new piston in my rebuild kit was no higher compression than the original, and that I could live without the release. He didn’t have the special bolt to plug the hole, so I hit the hardware store for a machine bolt and copper washer I could grind to fit…which I did.

Dismantling the saw to expose the cylinder, I discover all the machine screws are Torx headed. I’ve got those for all except the long-reach Allen-style wrenches needed for the cylinder head-to-crankcase screws, but I discover a 9/64” Allen will break them loose without damage so I proceed. You can see the wrench reaching thru clearance holes in the cylinder fins to get to the machine screw in the pic above.

The hose clamp on the rubber intake manifold is loosened and the cylinder head pulled from the saw…

The shiny new piston is fitted to the connecting rod using the old spring clips…everything lubed with 90wt oil and swab…

The rings aligned per the book and compressed with a hose clamp…a new crankcase gasket installed…

And the new cylinder…also liberally lubed…tapped on, displacing the hose clamp which is dismantled and removed.

The cylinder screws are replaced and torqued, and the spark plug is grounded to check for spark with a pull of the cord before installing the plug.

The carb, which had been washed in carb cleaner and had been soaking in solvent, was reinstalled with it’s linkage and a new gasket…fresh fuel added after cleaning out the tank and filter…and she fires on the 3rd pull and both runs and idles well…I got lucky for a change.

Shrouds, handles and covers reinstalled, and Pop has a working saw again….only this time…I’ll supply 5 gallons of correct fuel so he doesn’t run out.

$66.00 and about 2 hours…as opposed to ever $300 at the saw shop.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Chainsaws

Bob,

Nice job, I used to do small engine work years ago and I know how satisfying it is to save an old workhorse. Thanks for your post.