Thread: Electric finish nailer?

Electric finish nailer?

Does anyone make an electric finish nailer? I would like to get a nailer but I don't want to spend $300 on an air compresser and pnuematic nailer. Also, I don't have much room even for a pancake style compressor. I don't plan on using the nailer a whole lot, but it would be easier, look nicer, and would make a stronger joint than nailing by hand.

I am looking for one that shoots 1 1/4" to either 2" or 2 1/2" I don't know if 16 or 18 gauge would be better though.

Thanks,
    Stephen

I've never seen a "finish nailer" powered by electric, although there are electric brad guns available. However, the performance reported by folks on the available electric units is sub-par...not enough power except for very soft or thin materials. Given the availability of nice combo kits that include a small compressor and either one or two nail guns for a relatively reasonably price...that might be the better choice. There is nothing worse than buying a tool that is basically unusable for the task you intended.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Senco AF line

Hi Stephen,

Home depot near me clearanced the Senco AF 41 finish nailer 15 ga clip head nail for $200 (gone here) and the AF 25 18 ga brad is now at $186. I have the AF41 and love it. They are battery powered so there is no gas to buy. I may get the 25 also. Check ebay I sold an AF 41 for $249+$20 shipping.

I'll second Jim's comment on not hearing much good about the eletric guns.

I hope this helps.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I have one that shoots 1 inch brads. Either I'm not very good with it or its not very good. Most of the time, I have to finish sinking the nails with a hammer, which still saves a little time.
    Lynn J. Sonier

has anyone used the Porter Cable BN200V12 Cordless Brad Nailer?
    Amazon.com has it for $179.99
    It shoots 18 gauge brads from 3/4" to 2"

What is the difference between finish nails and brads?

Also, I will be using this for building several bookcases out of 3/4" oak ply and solid 1 by's, is 18 gauge large enough, or should I be looking for 16 gauge?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed
    What is the difference between finish nails and brads?
    Brads, in the context of pneumatic nailers, are generally fasteners that are made from flat metal and have heads that are tee-shaped. These are the thinner fasteners and good for general use as long as they don't get too long. The flat cross section of these guys will tend to follow the grain of wood, especially in harder species like oak. That can cause a blowout and possibly injure you if your hand is in the wrong place! The shorter the fastener, the less likely you'll have problem with this. Due to their small size, however, they are handy for a variety of jobs where a huge amount of strength isn't needed or where splitting is a possibility. Brad guns generally are 18 guage or 16 guage (the latter is sometimes referred to as a "finish nailer", but it's still a brad gun).

"Finish nails", again, in the context of pneumatic nailers most often refer to the real, round nails shot by the typical 15 guage gun. They have round or mostly round heads so they actually look like nails and are heavier for more holding power. They are great for casework as well as hanging moldings and the like where a longer fastener is required to do the job. The only downside for furniture is that the round heads do leave a little larger hole, but at least it looks like a nail rather than a square "something" penetrated the wood.

Also, I will be using this for building several bookcases out of 3/4" oak ply and solid 1 by's, is 18 guage large enough, or should I be looking for 16 guage?
    Taking what I wrote above in consideration, I feel the best combination is an 18 guage brad gun and a 15 guage angle finish nailer. But if you can only have one gun, the 16 guage brad gun/finish nailer is a good compromise between small and large. Since the wire brads are a little heavier, you can shoot slightly longer ones with some level of confidence.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Run Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed
    has anyone used the Porter Cable BN200V12 Cordless Brad Nailer?
    Amazon.com has it for $179.99
    It shoots 18 gauge brads from 3/4" to 2"

Thanks,
    Stephen

This gun weighs a ton! The weight is all in the back so the balance is terrible. It works by having a small compressor on board. I was talking with a PC rep about it and he was thinking it would be discontinued. I played with this gun at woodworkers warehouse (soon to be no more). The senco gun or the paslode are the way to go for the cordless nailers.

Fine Homebuilding, July 2003, No.156 did a comparison of the Paslode, Senco and PC cordless guns. The Paslode came out on top for professional use, but use gas cartridges and needs cleaning of the combustion chamber. The Senco. "No fuel cartridges or cleaning required: The Senco gns are purfect for punch-list work or for the weekend warrior."

You would be better off with the pancake comperssor and the regular version of the PC gun (which I have) than the cordless PC.

Just my $0.02.
    Chuck

"You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Ok,
    maybe I should save myself a headache and buy a compressor and gun. What would you recommend for an air compressor and one nailer? I need to keep it as cheap as possible. It will only recieve light use, after I build some bookcases it will probably only be used every couple of months.

thanks,
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I would look at one of the PC combos at the box store or Amazon. They are not the cheapest but they should perform for a long time and are reasonably priced. Once you have a compressor you will find lots of uses for it. I prefer milton quick connects they don't leak like the cheapies (Camlbell Hausfield(sp)). Get a blow gun for cleaning stuff off. The compressor will allow you to get other air tool in the future if you want also. I would look for an oiless nailer. I hope this helps.
    Chuck