Thread: Questions about Tinting

Questions about Tinting

I would like to know your expieriences with tinting finishes like laquer, varish, poly etc. How much luck have people had with just tinting the protective finish to take care of the stain and initial sealer coat? I would imagine them you would apply several additional coats of the same un-tinted sealer over the initial tinted coat?

Tinting the finish works well if, with only few exceptions, you spray the finish. That rules out varnish which makes a sticky mess in all the surroundings if you spray it.

While there are places where toned finish adds depth and interest to a finish, it is usually better to use dye and stains in separate steps from clear top coats. Certainly it is easier. Adding color to top coats makes the process more difficult not easier. It's not a good shortcut.

Most medium cost and cheap furniture as well as much 40's era work has toned finish applied, color and finish in one step. If you are repairing or reproducing a period piece such as an old radio cabinet or 40's dining room chair, go for it. I don't like this 'applied color' look, but it is period correct in some applications.

Many light coats is better than one heavy one. Woodworker's Supply has spray bombs in 10+ colors. You can also add anyline dye to lacquer.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC