Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Appeals Court Overturns D.C. Gun Ban

Frank...........There is a distinct difference between ideology/theory and reality and practical application of just about every subject. I won't discuss politics for those reasons. The idea that we can use higher forms of human function is commendable but.........the reality is regardless of which ideology you believe in there has been none that I'm aware that when applied and you factor in "HUMANS....as in Man.....as in Mankind" it gets distorted often beyond recognition. When I watch what has happened within the govenment of this nation in my lifetime.....in the last couple of decades .....in the last couple of years ....in the last couple months....the distortions make me cringe and have an even more deep respect for the extremely intelligent people who wrote with an unmeasureable amount of foresight, our government's constitution. That document is the adhesive that holds this country together.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Frank,

I must agree with your overall sentiment. I wish all citizens of this planet could use "higher human functions to resolve disputes" but we won't and it is probable we never will.

Thomas Jefferson stated that he felt the people would most likely have to overthrow the Government once per generation. I expect his confidence in Government was less than many would expect and reflected his confidence in mankind.

Not much has changed in 200 years. There will always be a very small minority of the worlds population that are evil.

[quote=Ken Fitzgerald]Jack.......the reason for those driveby shootings is a failure of parents to responsibly raise their children and a failure of society to hold people responsible for their actions.

Until criminals are taken off the streets permanently private citizenry should have the right to defend themselves.

[quote]I know this is the good old USA but erosion of rights is sometimes so gradual that it is often times never seen till you are far down the road.
    Gary K. [quote]

Many times legislation that is passed for "our own good" is an insidious attempt to further total government control. While I am not in favor of overthrowing the current government, there may come a time in the future when some restructuring might be required. However, as a resident of the South (not attempting to introduce the North/South controversy) I am familiar with what happens when a portion of the population attempts to withdraw and govern itself.

Gun control is not the answer. Criminal control is the answer.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 03-10-2007 at 6:04 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    our means of protecting our right to overthrow the Government if necessary
    That is not exactly how the Federalists saw it but it's close

Is what you are proposing contained in the US Constitution?
    No it's not. and It's not the law at all. You can find references to it in the Federalist papers which may give one some insight to what the founders were thinking.

And you can read some if it if you get the PDF of the opinion in this case and read page 37.
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 03-10-2007 at 5:57 PM.

After a well written post about crime and criminals I have instead decided on this.

No comment.

Stop by anytime and I will discuss this very issue over beers, my treat.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz

Joe
    La Fin Du Monde?? and Mcallan or Redbreast??

I'll be right over !!~!!!~!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    After a well written post about crime and criminals I have instead decided on this.

No comment.

Joe
    And thank you Joe for what you do every day! BTW....what's the address and name of the bar?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mt. Pleasant isn't too far from my folks' home in Midland...

I'll discuss almost anything over a beer.

As for the 2nd Amendment, I've chosen, on occasion, to apply some wisdom my father once imparted: "There is a such thing as being dead right." Granted, he was usually referring to something along the lines of "pedestrians always have the right of way", but I've also been to some of the less savory neighborhoods of Chicago. At those times, I felt personal protection at the risk of imprisonment was better than the other option. Was I law-abiding? Well...not by Chicago's extremely anti-gun laws, but I believe the 2nd Amendment reaffirms our "inalienable right granted by our Creator" to keep and bear arms.

I'll inject a little inocuous religion here, too. As a Christian father and husband, I believe it is my duty to protect and defend my family, all the while making "every effort to live in peace with all men". Usually, the peace part isn't all that difficult to me, but I have already decided that should someone come crashing through my front door, he's not going to have more than a few seconds to turn his life around, to put it mildly.

Thankfully, Indiana is generally in support of my right to keep and bear arms (I recently spent $100 for them to affirm my right to carry arms on my person for life), so that contributes to my inclination to not move from this state any time soon.

I thought that the mayor of D.C.'s response to the ruling was laughable. The statistics of the past 20 years or so bear out that as the number of carry permits issued has gone up, violent (and other) crimes have generally gone down in those same locales. Yet the mayor basically stated the opposite.

"More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott is a good place to start with the reading. Mr. Lott used to be vehemently against guns and set out to prove that higher rates of gun ownership correlated to higher crime rates. Instead, as he researched the statistics, his outlook changed quite dramatically.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    . . . I believe it is my duty to protect and defend my family, all the while making "every effort to live in peace with all men".
    As a member of the "weaker sex" I would like to express my appreciation for your attitude of chivalry. Your wife and family are very fortunate that they have someone willing to defend them against all predators. It is a shame that you are required to do so. I salute you.

Living at peace with all men would require those men to have the same sentiment. Until such time as that may be the case, be ever vigilant.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Well stated Mr. Roehl..!!! Well stated.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Well stated Mr. Roehl..!!! Well stated.
    Hey! Aren't you one of the referees?

sorry Dennis, couldn't resist

Joe

Constitutional lawyers have said for many years that when you look at the wording of the second amendment and compare it to the wording in other areas of the Constitution , that it is obvious that the second amendment refers to an individual right ..

Seems this fact is lost in the spin ..

Firearms , like nuclear devices during the cold war , are a deterrent to crime .... If someone thinks or knows you have them , they are less likely to commit a crime against you ..

We used to go to school with loaded guns in our gunracks , with the doors unlocked , and guess what , no one ever got shot cause someone got mad , and no guns were ever stolen either ..

If you choose not to own one thats fine , free country , your choice ..

And oh by the way very early in the constitution it does say that the citizens have the constitutional authority to overthrow a tyrannical government .. They dont want you to know that either ..

A little OT, but gun related...

When I first came to the USA in '92, I thought it would be cool to own a gun and go to the target range with my buddies. I bought a 9mm and a .22 S&W handguns and a .22 rifle. I did have fun shooting them for a year or so. I still have them, but they haven't been used for years (they are all safely locked away - I wouldn't be able to get to them quickly if I ever have an emergency situation). I don't know what to do with them.

Since I bought them, they passed laws in CA that stomp on my rights to sell the high capacity clips that I got with them and the rifle looks too much like an automatic weapon (so I'm told) and so I can't sell that either. I can't seem to find a local dealer that will take any of them and sell them for me.

I don't want them any more (they are just not needed around here), but I can't sell them.....what to do?

Confused....
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    I can't seem to find a local dealer that will take any of them and sell them for me.

I don't want them any more (they are just not needed around here), but I can't sell them.....what to do?

Confused....
    Try GunBroker.com , AuctionArms.com, and/or GunsAmerica.com. You will still need to find a local FFL holder to ship them for you to the buyers FFL holder, but it should make your transaction easier. But the local dealer will not have to buy them, just ship them, which he might be more willing to do. Also by searching those sites you might find another dealer within driving distance that might be interested in them.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the makes and models?

The mayor's campaign in Philly & gun laws

I'll try to keep this nonpolitical. Everybody running for mayor in Philly is promising "more gun laws" or "doing something about illegal guns". Good idea. The tactics being proposed seem the same to me as those having been used against illegal drugs the past 30 years or so. The "war" against drugs has been a smashing success. Why, you can't hardly find illegal drugs in Philly, unless you look I think any serious attempt at gun control would simply be another lucrative smuggling opportunity.

Curt