Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic on casters

Powermatic on casters

Has anyone mounted their 3520 on casters? Have any pictures you can share?
    Thanks for any tips.
    Clancy

For some reason I don't like the sound of a big lathe like that on casters, especially if you are planning on turning big stuff. It might be alright, but for some reason it sounds like you might get more exercise than you'd want chasing that thing around the shop.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Unless the caster is totally retractable, I will advise against it too.

I think even lockable casters (w/ brake) won't work (for the reasons stated above). Just my thoughts.
    Dario

I will agree with above and give a little story. I bought my lathe which is roughly the same size as the PM 3520 used from a guy and it was mounted on casters. I left it on the casters for a couple weeks for two reason. One I wanted to try the lathe in a couple spots in my shop before I decided where it's permenant home was. Two I am 6 foot 4 and wanted to try it at the heigth it was at to see how much I wanted to raise my lathe up.
    I did not turn any really big stuff but the lathe was more stable that I would have thought. However even though I did not notice much vibration I had to tighten a couple of set screws and the nut on my variable speed control several times. Once I put it in its permenant home I shimmed it up and weighted it down and have never had to tighten anything again.

On top of vibration if you are not on the tall side the casters may put your spindle height higher than you would like.
    Mike Vickery

Rather than casters, I woud recommend heavy duty wheels. Our club has welded hook type brackets on the headstock end legs and a bracket for an aircraft type towbar on the tailstock end. If you have seen the arrangement for moving the Minimax bandsaws. it is a lot like that except for much bigger wheels. With this configuration, the wheels and tow bar are only attached when the lathe is moved. It only takes a few seconds to install the wheels.

Bill

Casters?

Not on a lathe-the onset of an out of balance piece of material will cause that lathe to move in ways that will have a negative outcome -no matter how you look at it- not a wise idea - way to dangerous- is there some reason you want it movable?
    Happy turnings
    Brian,

A suggestion

I'm a nut about mobility and almost everything in my shop here and in VA is on mobile stands. While I've got several different kinds, I prefer the type that Delta makes for its heavier equipment. Those sit on the ground and you push down w/your feet to make them mobile.
    I made my Nova XP (in VA) to sit on a self made stand which is on a Delta mobile made for jointers, but my powermatic(in SC) is not. For what it costs to get a very heavy duty mobile stand, you might look into getting either a hydraulic dolly or hydraulic table. When I absolutely need to move my powermatic lathe, that's what I use. The advantage of having one of those is that the next time you bring back an enormous block of wood to turn, you can use it/them to bring it to your lathe. I also found them invaluable in setting up heavy equipment like my lathes.
    PS I got my table at HF and my dolly at an industrial supply house.

Caster Discussion

There are some discussions and pictures on the AAW Tips Forum, under 3520 Tips. Look at the heading "Moving and Delivery" One of the solutions has a system for lifting the casters off the wheels once it is in place.
    Jerry Hall

My PM3520a is on wheels and I have had no problem. Moving it is a bit like pushing a car though...

Bill Boehme: Pictures of your wheels and brackets?

Bill Boehme said: "...........Our club has welded hook type brackets on the headstock end legs and a bracket for an aircraft type towbar on the tailstock end. If you have seen the arrangement for moving the Minimax bandsaws. it is a lot like that except for much bigger wheels."

Hey Bill, I like this idea. Any chance of a picture or two?
    Jerry Hall

Clancy,
    Somewhere, recently, this was written about.
    The best idea was to use a leveling caster with wheel, such as these guys make: http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

Here is another one on woodcentral

Been searching for about 15 minutes and have not found the post yet, but this should get you thinking....
    Rich s.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 03-10-2007 at 4:09 PM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted per the TOS. - Sorry

My turning club has a Jet 1642 on casters. The first time I saw someone use it I figured the thing would move, but to my surprise the weight of the machine seems to stabilize it even w/o locking the casters. Having said that, I'm not about to put my 3520B on casters. Even if I've seen someone do it and have good results, I still have an uneasy feeling about it.

I have to wonder if those Zambus casters might not work well for that. I'm thinking about putting a set under my MM16. A lot of folks on the MM users group swear by them for use under really heavy machines and say that they're rock solid.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Clancy Courtney
    Has anyone mounted their 3520 on casters? Have any pictures you can share?
    Thanks for any tips.
    Clancy
    3520? What's a 3520? is that one of those....
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I need casters for a PM 160 planer (1,100lbs) so I can roll it up my driveway and in my garage. Thos Zambus look great but but small in diameter, might struggle going over cracks and lips where driveway and garage meet.