Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian Olive vase before and after

Curt, I can't pick a favorite and you can't make me. I like them both, so there !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I personally like the second one. It fits the grain better and does not make the piece busy. Although I feel the first on had better form to it, it detracted too much. Great piece one way or the other.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Curt, I can't pick a favorite and you can't make me. I like them both, so there !
    I wish there was a "both".

I liked the shape of the first one better, the color combination of the second one better. I guess I should learn to make the collars seperate so I could mix and match. But my technique is to turn the bottom side of the collar, glue it to the vessel, and then turn the top side. That's also why I had to shorten the vessel. This would have been a good time to have a vacuum chuck too.

Thanks to all of you for the comments.

Wow, I thought I posted to this and now it's gone. Oh well! Im kinda with Mr. Hart. I really liked the first one the best but the second one is nice in a different way. Overall, Great Job!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

THat is a hard decision! They are both so nice... I wish too that you could have kept the first one too! Hard call to make!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Much Better

I like the new colalr much better -- nothing wrong with the old one, but for me, the two strong grains created too much movement. Very nice!

Russian Olive

I've seen russian olive in turnings. It doesn't normally get to be a big tree.
    I found a very nice size log and am wondering how well it does as lumber, before I try to haul for slabbing.

Definately like this one the best ... Sure is some beautiful wood!

They just tore out a few Russian Olives next door, theres two large root balls that I need to go grab.

Oooh, very nice! We have a lot of Russian Olive on my parent's place, and I love working with it. That's by far the nicest piece I've seen made from it. I like both versions, although the second lets you focus more on great grain on the HF, like someone else mentioned.

You did an outstanding job on the HF. Love them both. Like the form better on the first but the contrast better on the second.

I was working with some dry Russian Olive from a tree that died 3 yrs ago. The rings tend to be very porous and difficult to turn smoothly. Did you use anything to stabilize the wood before you turned or during turning? Of course, this may not be a problem if the wood is green. Any advise would be appreciated.

Joyce
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

When I was a kid my mama after looking at a tie I picked out to wear with a shirt would exclaim, "You are not about to wear that tie with that shirt, it is to busy." That is why I like the 2nd one better.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"