Thread: Exaktor EX26XS Sliding Table + Sawstop - Suggestions?

Exaktor EX26XS Sliding Table + Sawstop - Suggestions?

I'm nearing completion of my small little shop that I built which can be seen at the following link:

http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/construction/garage/

Anyhow, today I decided to take a break from drywall and do some yard work. Afterwards I couldn't help but just wonder what was inside of that Sawstop crate I've been moving around the shop for over two months. Yeah, finally I had to remove the lags, pull the cover and admire one beautiful saw. I even took a peek inside at that rather large 5hp motor. Then I got motivated and decided to hoist the saw off the skid and onto the HTC mobile base I purchased. This was easier said than done, as my only method of hoisting is with my engine hoist which would not get into a good enough position. So I used my pallet jack and that allowed me to raise the pallet high enough to put some 2x4's under the skid 2x4's and basically raised the height 3-1/2". My engine hoist could then roll under the skid and I could then lift the Sawstop. That was uneventful and I lowered it down onto the ground after pulling out the skid. I had to shorten the boom, raise, and then lowered it onto the HTC mobile base (very nice I might add). That was enough for today since it was getting late.

Anyhow, I ordered an Exaktor EX26XS sliding table for this saw and I'll have it this coming week. I'm now debating on the best approach for installing it. Should I install the left wing on the Sawstop and then the Exaktor or put the slider closest to the blade? Right now I'm leaning towards putting it closest to the blade. I want to brace the Exaktor to my Sawstop so that it's more portable. Has anyone done some sort of triangular brace to support a sliding table during relocation via a mobile base? I would plan on checking all settings after moving the saw, but it's likely I will need to move the saw from time to time since I don't have a huge shop.

Suggestions are welcomed. I'm going to Lowes in the morning to pick up some 10AWG SO Cord which I'll install an L6-30 Twistlock plug. I plan to install about 25' of cable allowing me the freedom to move the saw as needed. I will hear the Sawstop come alive tomorrow and I can't wait!

I have put the slider on with and without the wing left on. Practically speaking there is no real reason to leave the wing on, except to avoid cutting the fence. I finally cut it, and liked it better that way.

The slider is not really made to be moved around much, and I think the one you ordered it too big for a triangulated base. Perhaps, if you just need to move it occasionally, but will go back to the same spot to use it, you could drill through the legs and use a bolt to keep them at the right height, rather than using the set screws. Then mark the floor where the saw goes, pull the legs off to move it and replace them when you return it to its place.

A simple stick would work to keep the slider from hanging down when the saw is moved.

Just a thought.

Rick Potter

Thanks Rick. Once I find the best working position for the saw, it will usually be used in that position. Part of my plan with the EX26XS is to perhaps modify the stainless rails to allow the last 24" or so to be cut and removed. I have CNC capability along with a lot of metal fabrication tools. If I could make some very stout brackets, it may allow me to unbolt the extra length when not needed (most of the time). That would make the slider smaller and perhaps them a triangulated base would work. I could also fix the saw in position on the HTC base with aluminum shim blocks custom machined to give an exact fit and then extend the mobile base to hold the Exaktor legs. The HTC base does not raise or lower, so if I could built a stout mounting system, then it may work.

The Jessem slider would have made this much easier.

Just thinking out loud...how about welding a piece of 3/8" thick plate in the bottom of the legs and drill and tap it to accept a threaded rod caster? The legs aren't really made for lateral forces, but if your floor was flat enough, it should work.

The Exaktor pops off the saw easily enough with a few twists of the hand knobs that hold the slider to the mounting plate.

Keith

Could you do something like this? On mine I set the legs on a platform that is mounted to the saw with angel irons to get the legs off the floor and manke the saw and slider one unit. Iused to have it on a mobli base and this allowed me to move it around.

CPeter

Yeah - that's sort of what I'm considering for the Exaktor.

I ran into a snag today with the Sawstop. The fence rails are badly warped/bent/tweaked. I put the front rail on and was like.. what the heck!! I just sent an email to Sawstop so hopefully they'll send me out a replacement fence assembly so that I can complete the install.

I received my Exaktor today. Overall it looks to be a very nice piece of equipment. Well I should say I received the remaining two missing boxes that Eagle Global Logistics hung onto for a few too many days. Anyhow, upon receiving it I noticed the table was damaged from the box being dropped on the corner. It looked to be an easy fix, but still not something I wanted to find. Anyhow, Amazon gave me another $130 off the sliding table, so my out the door price was only $517.56 shipped for the EX26XS.

I spent about five minutes with a body hammer and some wood to fix the damage and it came out to the point you cannot tell it was even bent. I was planning on installing it today, but my saw is giving me some problems. So once I get that resolved, I'm going to assemble the sliding table and then make a support system for it. I doubt I'll keep the full length rails - I'll be cutting them down and making some brackets out of 3/8" aluminum plate to rejoin them when I need the full length of the slider.

Exaktor has failed my email query test though. I have emailed three people within that organization, including the CEO asking several legit questions. None of them have bothered to reply. Hmm.

give 'em some time. larry humphrey responded personally when i was trying to order the extension arm and support clip for the fence. his secretary then had everything shipped within two weeks. how's that for customer support?