Thread: Sawstop + Router Table (Optimal Setup??)

Sawstop + Router Table (Optimal Setup??)

Good evening guys. I just posted a final summary of my purchase of the Sawstop for anyone interested.

Ok - so now that I bought the Sawstop and PC 895PK router, I need some advice regarding how to best mount the router to the tablesaw.

I don't want to take up much needed space with a stand alone router table so I would like to integrate a table mounted router to the Sawstop tablesaw.

I can't seem to find any aftermarket router extension tables since the Sawstop is 30" wide. Is there one out there that I am missing? If not, should I just drop in a router mounting plate and add a router fence? My understanding is that I can make height adjustments with this 895PK router from above the table so do you still recommend a lift?

Any recommendations you have on an effective setup for the Sawstop and PC 895PK would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Joe

I spent a good deal of time on the internet searching for a cast iron or alternative material extension table for the Sawstop table saw. What is available seems to be geared to the 27" depth of table saw market.

I even considered at one time of using a General cast iron extension table specfically cast for adding a router. It has the hole for the router and under table slots for attaching the router. It was in the neighborhood of $100 to $119 in Canadian dollars. The down side was its demensions; 10" by 27" which meant I would then have to add one 3" insert spacer or use two 1.5" spacers (one at either end) to take up the difference length of the extension wing and the distance between the front and back support rails of the Sawstop table saw.

I have visted and spoke with the person who runs one of the local foundries that do cast iron. Final conclusion way to expensive for a "one of" = $300 and up.
    Next it was off to a local machinist with the idea of working with solid stock aluminum, Conclusion: way to expensive; materials and machining = $700.

For what I wanted, I have settled on having one of the extra Sawstop cast iron extension wings I ordered through the retailer to be machined to receive a Triton 2.25 hp router.
    I'll work with the machinist to utilize one of two ways to attach the router to the underside of the cast iron extension wing:
    1. Use the Lee Valley undertable router attachment system
    2. or bolt the router directly to the cast iron table and keep it as a dedicated router permantently attached to the cast iron extension wing of the to the table saw.

Here is my setup:

I ordered a cutom top from woodpeckers to handle the 30". So far, I like my setup. I can cut on the TS from two positions, and use the same fence for the router.l

Blog Entries
    Rich, can't see the pic. Can you attach it directly to your post?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rich's picture

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

6. Hi everyone. Is it possible to mount a router plate in the optional Sawstop table extension? I am getting one in a couple months and that is what I was hoping to be able to do. If it isn't possible for some reason, I don't want to spend the extra money to order the extension table for it.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Scott Nalley
    Hi everyone. Is it possible to mount a router plate in the optional Sawstop table extension? I am getting one in a couple months and that is what I was hoping to be able to do. If it isn't possible for some reason, I don't want to spend the extra money to order the extension table for it.
    No problem, I added an additional piece of BB ply under it to beef it up and flatten the top

BTW I have since cut the handle off the little DC and the access door opens all the way

Ffront1-28-07a.JPG rear1-28-07a.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka
    For what I wanted, I have settled on having one of the extra Sawstop cast iron extension wings I ordered through the retailer to be machined to receive a Triton 2.25 hp router.
    I'll work with the machinist to utilize one of two ways to attach the router to the underside of the cast iron extension wing:
    1. Use the Lee Valley undertable router attachment system
    2. or bolt the router directly to the cast iron table and keep it as a dedicated router permantently attached to the cast iron extension wing of the to the table saw.
    Yikes!! That's got to be an awfully expensive solution. Won't you need a router plate in order for the router bit (and collett, for bit changing) to come up high enough above the table? If you have a router plate (or even if you don't), why do you need a steel router table? Why not phenolic, or even MDF covered with laminate? I bought a sheet of 3/4" phenolic on eBay (to which I added 1/2" ply) and an aluminum router plate. It works fine. Flat and very solid.

Don't forget that you'll need to either position the router so that it clears the Sawstop's open door, or be able to remove the router to open the door.

Cary

Actually it is not that expensive relative to the time and effort in sourcing out the materials and getting them shipped across the border. It works out about the same.

The phenolic I purchased for the constructing the horizontal router, I lucked into in Canada . On the north side of the border we simply do not have as many suppliers with the depth of inventory or variety. With that said, thank goodness for Lee Valley for those of us in the fridged North.

As for dollars spent on the saw and the accessories, my wife does not mind the out lay of expenditure because on two separate occasions having saved for some considerable time, I passed on the purchase of a table saw for her realize what was important to her.

Now I have the table saw albeit sitting in the warehouse of the retail outlet waiting for my work shop be upgraded to receive it.

DAN,

What model HTC is that you are using? I used to have an HTC like that for cabinet saw that I liked as it has support on the outside near the table likes, but the new HTC for the SS has telescoping arms that reach out to the legs providing no support really for the legs themselves as the closest wheels are near mid-table.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Crutchfield
    DAN,

What model HTC is that you are using? I used to have an HTC like that for cabinet saw that I liked as it has support on the outside near the table likes, but the new HTC for the SS has telescoping arms that reach out to the legs providing no support really for the legs themselves as the closest wheels are near mid-table.
    Calvin
    Actually I'm not sure. I bought it with the saw and the saw was uncrated and sitting in the base when delivered from Jesse at Eagle tools in Glendale Ca.
    He told me this was a new HTC version for the SS based on suggestions he had fed back to them. I'll check to see if theres a model number listed on it
    Dan

Thanks. I was told mine was the latest and greatest for the SS as well. I actually like your style better. I think the model is near the HTC logo on the base itself.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee
    Calvin
    Actually I'm not sure. I bought it with the saw and the saw was uncrated and sitting in the base when delivered from Jesse at Eagle tools in Glendale Ca.
    He told me this was a new HTC version for the SS based on suggestions he had fed back to them. I'll check to see if theres a model number listed on it
    Dan
    It's a small world Dan. I'm planning to get my SawStop from Eagle Tools as well. Mark Singer, who posts here often, recommended them to me. I plan to have mine delivered uncrated on the stand as well. WoodCraft won't do that for me. Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Calvin:
    Model# is HSO-3434 It supports the legs really well and seems to be made from tubular steel.

Don:
    I'll probably buy any more big tools from Eagle in the future I like the idea of having some one local in case there are problems.

Having the beast uncrated and delivered in the stand is a great way to go. The truck shows up they lift gate it down and roll it into the shop literally no sweat course ya still got to finish the assembly.

Enjoy the saw

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee
    Don:
    I'll probably buy any more big tools from Eagle in the future I like the idea of having some one local in case there are problems.

Having the beast uncrated and delivered in the stand is a great way to go. The truck shows up they lift gate it down and roll it into the shop literally no sweat course ya still got to finish the assembly.

Enjoy the saw
    That makes me feel a lot better, especially when I'm dropping close to 4K. Thanks for the information.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps