Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Shop

My New Shop

Hello everyone.

I mostly lurke here and my favorite type of thread lately is the new shop story, I am planning to build a dedicated detached shop in my back yard and would like to track it here (hopefully I can get a bunch of good ideas as I already have from the various threads here). I originally planned to start this process in the spring, but that has changed for the better. Since we just finished a large construction project, my wife has convinced me to hire someone for this one. I am not completely pleased with this decision, but I will live with it in order to have a new space to work in. That said, we are on a tight budget.

Our goal was to build something between 200 and 300 square feet. Our back yard (property is only 75’ X 135’ with a slope in the back) and life style (small kids still using the back yard for play) is the main factor in this decision. We looked at a lot of sizes and finally decided on a 12’ X 20’ (I know… too small, but I can not go bigger) building and decided to go with a shed builder. This was a difficult decision for me, but again, the budget took over. The shed will be build on a 4’ X 4’ “skid” system, but I will be digging and pouring piers to anchor the shed (township requirement as well). I applied for the permits on Friday and hope to hear by this Friday. I am hoping to have the building installed by the end of the month.

There are some things about the shed company that I am not happy with, but think I can live with. For instance, the framing is all on two foot centers (2 X 4 walls and 2 X 6 roof) except the floor will be 2X6 on 12” centers. If this becomes an issue, I can add studs and rafters to supplement, but I should be good. The standard building comes with seven foot side walls. This was not even close to acceptable for me so I upgraded to eight foot (I would have liked higher, but the township would have required a variance). The standard building also only comes with regular wood framing and floor material (I upgraded to Pressure Treated).

The company will just be building the basic building, then I will customize (more on that later). It will come primed, and will have a cheesy double wood door. I will likely live with this for a while (will paint in the spring), but eventually will side to match the house and replace the door. I will be installing windows right away though.

Once I get through the township on the building, I will be installing the electrical system. It will likely be just a 60 Amp sub-panel. I will do all of this work myself, and have a rough idea as to the details (again, more on that later).

Attached are my initial thoughts on the floor plan (comments welcome) and I will be doing a Sketch Up drawing soon. The lathe shown is different from mine. I have a Nova 3K with a custom stand but you get the idea (by the way, most of what I do is turning). I do not have a band saw yet, but plan to in the near future. The grinder is on a custom cabinet and is on wheels. The table saw is not the one shown, and the out feed table does not exist yet. The out feed will likely be a bench of sorts, and the table saw and the bench will be on wheels. The counters shown will be custom made to the space and I will be building cabinets for above the counters.

I will be building a “loft” storage area on the wall opposite the counter top. I am short, so this will probably be about 6 feet off the floor (our house is very storage challenged and this was the only request from my wife other than aesthetics) to enhance the storage space. Right now, I am thinking it will be 12’ wide by about 6’ (or so) deep.

Again, here is the layout… Comments? Ideas? Thanks for listening.

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you pick your projects so as to best use the space, keep your "stuff" put away, and plan ahead you should be just fine with the size. That was roughly the size of my first shop, and I really enjoyed it.
    Don't forget the insulation, may want to go with 100 amp, 220volt somewhere (?). If possible go with 3/4 floor. I used 1/2" on mine and if flexed.
    Good luck.
    Bill

Just keep everything mobile, James and it should work out fine. There's nothing wrong with 2' OC walls and since they will be open, you'll be able to easily install blocking to support cabinets, etc., before you close things in with insulation, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

James, I'll be watching this thread closely! I'm in the same boat kinda-I have a basement shop,and I keep thinking of moving outside. My property is 75'x127' and I put up a wooden outbuilding five years ago, it;s on 4x4 's and is 10'x14'. I also poured 12'' dia. three foot deep footings as per the town- I live in northern new jersey. ( six footings) I keep thinking of blowing out the back wall and doubling the size to give me roughly the same size work area you are looking at .(a) I;m not sure if this will be enough room and (b) I'm not so sure I want to work away from the house. I can think of MANY benifates but I can also think the drawbacks too! I have to heat it in the colder months for example, sometimes i don't work that long, or sometimes I just go downstairs in my socks to ponder projects or whatever-and I'm still within earshot of my wife-wait is that a plus or a drawback...hmmm.. well, anyway you get the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    If you pick your projects so as to best use the space, keep your "stuff" put away, and plan ahead you should be just fine with the size. That was roughly the size of my first shop, and I really enjoyed it.
    Don't forget the insulation, may want to go with 100 amp, 220volt somewhere (?). If possible go with 3/4 floor. I used 1/2" on mine and if flexed.
    Good luck.
    Bill
    Bill,

Already thought of that. The floor being installed by the shed company is 5/8" PT plywood. I am planning another layer of OSB or even some utility grade hardwood. Insulation is already in my plans...

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Just keep everything mobile, James and it should work out fine. There's nothing wrong with 2' OC walls and since they will be open, you'll be able to easily install blocking to support cabinets, etc., before you close things in with insulation, etc.
    Yes, everything (except the lathe) will be on mobile bases. I worked in a smaller space (part of a garage that I just converted to living space) so I was used to that. I am not overly concerned with the framing. I plan on using OSB on the inside walls and ceilings and the cleat system from the Wood Magazine for cabinets. I think it will be strong enough, but would feel better with 16" spacing. I wish the shed company would be more flexible, but that is why I can afford it...

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by everett lowell
    James, I'll be watching this thread closely! I'm in the same boat kinda-I have a basement shop,and I keep thinking of moving outside. My property is 75'x127' and I put up a wooden outbuilding five years ago, it;s on 4x4 's and is 10'x14'. I also poured 12'' dia. three foot deep footings as per the town- I live in northern new jersey. ( six footings) I keep thinking of blowing out the back wall and doubling the size to give me roughly the same size work area you are looking at .(a) I;m not sure if this will be enough room and (b) I'm not so sure I want to work away from the house. I can think of MANY benifates but I can also think the drawbacks too! I have to heat it in the colder months for example, sometimes i don't work that long, or sometimes I just go downstairs in my socks to ponder projects or whatever-and I'm still within earshot of my wife-wait is that a plus or a drawback...hmmm.. well, anyway you get the idea
    Everett,

For me, it is not even a choice. I have a smaller house and just converted the single car garage to living space (that is where my shop used to be). I guess you could say I am in a hurry without a shop... Anyway, I am looking forward to the detached space. I always battled with my sleeping family (my wife is very sensitive to noise) and see myself getting more shop time with the detachment.

Heat is in the plans, but most likely not until next year. In the mean time, I do have a small kerosene heeter.

thx...Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by James Aguanno
    Bill,

Already thought of that. The floor being installed by the shed company is 5/8" PT plywood. I am planning another layer of OSB or even some utility grade hardwood. Insulation is already in my plans...

Jamie
    Hi Jamie,

This past summer I had a Tuff Shed built in my back yard. I went with a 16x20' barn style (gambrel roof). I opted for 16" OC wall framing and taller (7-1/2 foot) walls. They put their sheds on galvanized floor joists (50 year guarantee), with 3/4" T&G plywood flooring. On top of that I installed cheap snap-together laminate flooring from HD. So far, it's very solid with no bounce. I didn't pour a slab or footings, but rather (on Tuff Shed's recommendation) put down four inches of 1" gravel on absolutely level, undisturbed earth.

I ran two 15A and one 20A circuits for lighting and outlets. I have an outlet every 3' around the entire perimeter of the shed, with four 4' double T8 fluorescent fixtures downstairs and one upstairs -- also one floodlight and a 20A outlet outside. I put in a 36" steel entry door with window (in addition to the 48" barn door that came standard). I framed in a loft covering 3/4 of the floorplan using 2x10s on 24" centers (every third one doubled up), with 3/4" OSB screwed/glued as flooring.

Still need to insulate and put up something to cover the walls -- not sure if I'll go with painted OSB, drywall, or hardboard paneling. Any recommendations?

I wish I had gone larger, but only decided to get into woodworking AFTER the shed was up. So, half of the 2-car garage will be dedicated to the big WW tools (TS, planer, jointer, DC), and the shed will be for the metal lathe, gunsmithing/reloading, and smaller WW projects.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cimbora
    Hi Jamie,

Still need to insulate and put up something to cover the walls -- not sure if I'll go with painted OSB, drywall, or hardboard paneling. Any recommendations?

-Dan
    Dan,

I am going to use the OSB (painting it white). In my are right now, it is about $4 a sheet cheeper than drywall, and gives you the flexibility of mounting stuff just about anywhere (without drywall anchors). Granted, finished drywall looks better, but if you take your time and get a good couple of coats on the OSB it really does not look too bad. I like your flooring idea, but I have to go with piers (township requirement), and the shed company is not up to modifications (I was able to get 8' sidewalls though).

thx...Jamie

Hi,
    I had a 16X24 2 story barn shed built for my shop. I went with osb on the lower 4 feet of the walls and pegboard for the upper half of the walls so I can hang stuff pretty near anywhere. I did not put a second skin on the floor and wish I did. Now it will be a real pain todo. Have fun building your shop.

Roger

progress

Just a small update. I just found out that my permits are ready (record time for me). I will be emptying and removing my old shed this weekend and hopefully doing the pier layout (if the rain holds out anyway). Wish me luck..

Thx...Jamie

Blog Entries
    Good luck James!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Progress

Well, I made a little progress over the weekend (sorry, no pictures). Since I have the permit now, I was able to remove my old shed (8X12 that is in the way). I also removed a small maple tree that was in the way. I did the tree a week ago, and the shed this past weekend.

Once the shed was down, I cut the slab in half and removed the front half. The back half will stay for wood storage (turning wood) and chain saw work. The slab was thicker than I was expecting, so the saw I rented did not go all the way through. I had to bust a good bid of it with a sledge.

With that complete, I then rented an auger. I had to dig 9 holes 36" deep. With the auger, it only took about 30 minutes or so (with a little help from a neighbor). I expected to have a lot of trouble with roots, but there was only one hole that I had to use an axe, much less than I thought. I also hit an irrigation pipe with one hole. It just hit the edge, but I will cut a piece out after the concrete is repaired just in case.

Well, I just have a little clean up in the holes tonite (rain the other day) and the building inspection is scheduled for tomorrot morning. Once I get the go ahead, I will pour concrete each night until I am done (probably two holes a night). I will also finalize the shed order (they only need about a week). Hopefully, my next progress report will include pictures of the concrete piers.

I also had a chance to work on the layout of the shop. I went through quite a few versions, but these two are my favorites so far. Any comments? I think I like the first one better.

thx...Jamie

Jamie, nice progress.

You do need to post larger images, however...those thumbnails really are hard to read!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Layout options

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Jamie, nice progress.

You do need to post larger images, however...those thumbnails really are hard to read!
    Sorry, here are the layouts.