Thread: UPC for the Makita SCMS rebate?

UPC for the Makita SCMS rebate?

Did anyone who got the recent Amazon Makita SCMS deal run into trouble with the UPC for the rebate?

The only UPC I found on the box was on one of the top flaps on the box. Unfortunately 80% of the symbol is covered by a UPS sticker. The UPS sticker wants to pull the UPC with it on removal.

Anyone have similar experience? Is there another UPC somewhere else?

Thanks.

Mine was the same, but, the tape pulled away o.k. on mine. There is just one UPC on the box. Maybe just send it in with the tape on it???

Mike

Funny thing is mine has the same problem as well.

I haven't filled out the rebate yet and hadn't checked until I saw your post.

I'm not going to try to pull of the label any more than the small corner that I just tried as it started to rip up bad.

So I'll cut the whole thing up (including the whole shipping label) and send it in with a note explaining the problem. Let them try to peel it off if they feel it's needed.

Just hope that it doesn't cause a problem with the rebate, but I'll worry about that if/when it happens. All I can do at this point is include as much info as I can.

/Kevin

Process Update

OK,

I called Makita directly and spoke to one of the operators. They advised to include the UPC even though the UPS sticker is on top of it.

They also said to make a photo copy of the front page of the owners manual and put the serial number from the saw on it and mail that in as well.

The rebate company, (outsourced by Makita), should accept that as proof. If not, contact Makita directly to resolve.

P.S. Customer service was very nice and extremely professional. Two thumbs up!

Hey Jeff,

What # did you call for Makita rebate customer service?

I called the # on the rebate form, which is the for the outsouce company, and they said no way... you must take of the shipping label yourself or it will be denied.

/Kevin

I went to makita.com website and called the support number. Makita advised that the rebate firm is not part of Makita.

Makita told me that if the rebate firm denies the claim that Makita can overwrite it. I hope this does come through.

I don't know if this is true but I heard that rebate companies get paid by the retailer for the amount of rebates that are out there. They get to keep any money that they do not pass on to the consumer by denying the claims. (Again I don't know that it is true. Someone told me that they saw a news story on TV about that practice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr
    I went to makita.com website and called the support number. Makita advised that the rebate firm is not part of Makita.

Makita told me that if the rebate firm denies the claim that Makita can overwrite it. I hope this does come through.

I don't know if this is true but I heard that rebate companies get paid by the retailer for the amount of rebates that are out there. They get to keep any money that they do not pass on to the consumer by denying the claims. (Again I don't know that it is true. Someone told me that they saw a news story on TV about that practice.)
    I am not going to say it’s not true but that would not make any sense. Why would a company give someone all the money for a rebate and give them an incentive not to give it back to their customers.

I don't have the problem, but the solvent for most self-stick labels is naptha, also known as cigarette lighter fluid or charcoal lighter. Naptha doesn't usually dissolve ink, so I bet you can get the UPS label off with a tiny amount of naptha.