Thread: Short Video Review

Short Video Review

I picked up a couple of DVDs at my local Woodcraft yesterday and thought I would post a short review on each.

"The Skew Chisel" with Alan Lacer:

Aproximately 5 years old since being filmed but, still a classic. If you have ever wanted to get better with a skew, or get over the fear of using one, this DVD is for you. It's about 90 minutes long and I really enjoyed it and learned a great deal even though I thought I had mastered the skew. Well worth adding to your library and I will likely watch it over and over again.

"Making the Native American Style Flutes" with Bill Hughes, PhD:

I bought this DVD because I'm always looking for new projects to do on the lathe and have been interested in making some musical instruments. This DVD combines flat work with turning and all of the information necessary for making these flutes is covered. That said, this was the first woodworking video I was forced to fast forward through, ever! While Bill seems like a nice enough guy, he is duller than a sack of hammers. The video seems to drag on forever and the actual length of the video is 2 hrs and 13 min, and that's about 2 hours more than necessary for this topic. I will make some flutes because of this DVD but, I don't think I could force myself to watch it again. If you only have one day left to live, watch this DVD because it will seem like an eternity...

Thanks Chris......

I have all of Lacer's DVDs and really enjoy them. He is the skew master and is great in front of the camera.

I have not seen Bill Hughes' DVD and after reading your post I may have to avoid it.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 03-13-2007 at 7:46 PM.

Thanks Chris...well said...but "he is duller than a sack of hammers"...I like hammers.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Chris I really like the Lacer video. That is the one that inspired me to get after the skew.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris,

I ordered the same flute DVD and it will be here tomorrow!

I need all the help I can get.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Hi Pete,

After you get to watch Bill's DVD let us know what you think. I may have been too harsh so, another's review of this DVD would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    If you only have one day left to live, watch this DVD because it will seem like an eternity...
    Just being able to say that is worth the price of the DVD right there.......

Hey Chris - great reviews!!! Definately have to check these out!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Hi Pete,

After you get to watch Bill's DVD let us know what you think. I may have been too harsh so, another's review of this DVD would be good.
    Chris
    I made it through undamaged! It does move slow but so do I. He is pretty low key but if you made thousands of flutes you probably would be too. I will try the flutes this summer.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf