Thread: Rockler Mobile Base Review.

Blog Entries

Rockler Mobile Base Review.

Last night I assembled the Rockler Mobile base that my Mom gave me for Christmas, yeah, I know Christmas is still a week away, but I was there when she bought it.

Anyway, the instructions are straight forwad, though obviously written by someone who does not speak english as a first language. All the parts were in the kit and the instructions were clear enough that I got it assembled without difficulty. They recommend using hard wood for the stringers, but I used some scrap treated yellow pine. It seems to be okay except for the front where the levered wheel is located. This piece takes some major torque when you lift up the tool so it is probably wise to use hardwood there, particularly on heavier tools. The instructions also said to cut the stringers at 1-1/2" square, but I found that the metal brackets would accept stock that was 1/16" thicker, so that is what I used and I got a tighter fit. The metal parts are all pretty heavy duty.

Getting the Delta bandsaw on the base with just LOML's help was a bit of fun, but we got the job done with no injuries to us or the saw.

The base works well lifting, but does tend to come down fast when you lower the saw back onto the feet. They provide two rubber feet for the front end that contact the floor when the base is lowered and provide a firm base for the saw when it is stationary (two wheels and two feet on the ground). Rolling the saw around was easy with the base lifted and lifting was done just by stepping on the lever for the single pivoting wheel.

I have no other mobile base needs a tthe moment, but for the $40 this is a really nice mobile base, even if I did have to supply the wood. If you are looking for a lower cost miobile base, tehn this could be what you need.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

I have three of them and they work out good. I used square tubing for the one under my TS. Very beefy and rolls easily. Just need to put the levered wheel on the extension table side so it's easier to lift and doesn't slam when you lower it.

Joe

Lee,

Thanks for the review. I have had one sitting in a box for longer than you, and your review might just get me to actually assemble mine. It'd be nice to actually move my bandsaw around and out of the way. Dave.

I have the HF mobile bases. They sound to be much the same. I used 1-1/2" square tubing. It works really well. I have had no problems with them excepts for the standard problems with a three wheel system. (I also have a 4-wheel unit. It has problems of a different type.) Good luck.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.