Thread: Advice on Powermatic Lathes

Advice on Powermatic Lathes

Looking for some advice.......

I'm getting ready to take the plunge on a Powermatic 3520B lathe, and have some questions.

First off, I think this is probably the best lathe in that price range, so I think my mind is pretty well made up.

Anybody know the outboard spindle size? I've got a vacuum setup now and will want to adapt it to the new PM.

The other issue is hollowing rigs w/laser... What is everyone's favorite? Kelton? Jamieson? Home-made?

Thumbs up

I just got one of these lathes, its absolutely great. Between centers is a short 3l, they want to sell you the bed extension 375.oo bucks but then you can turn outboard on that, they also only give you a 3 inch face plate, I had to have one made (7 inch) because powermatic wants l25.oo for theys. Great machine you will love it, I should have gotten it sooner.

Adam, I think it's a great choice and you'll love it. I do have one suggestion. Could you paint it Mayo?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Adam,
    don't know about the lathe, but I just got the monster-tool from Randy Privett and really like it. I think it was the most bang for your buck.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell
    Adam,
    don't know about the lathe, but I just got the monster-tool from Randy Privett and really like it. I think it was the most bang for your buck.

Bob
    Adam,

I too got the monster hollowing set from Randy and very happy with it.

I haven't removed the handwheel at the outboard side so I can't give you the thread size. I know the spindle through hole doesn't have any threading inside.

Check your PM about PM3520
    Dario

There are no threads on the outboard side. I wanted to go with the Oneway adapter but ended up buying the EZ Adaptor and it works great. Craft supply sells it. There may be a way to attach the Oneway but I don't know how.

Another recommendation for the EZ Adapter, it's hard to beat.
    My favorite hollowing setup is a home-made Jamieson D handle with the John Jordan 16" bent boring bar and a Monster Tools laser (MUCH better than the Jamieson laser IMO).

Lots of good information about the PM3520b can be found here:

The AAW forum
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 03-16-2007 at 9:11 AM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted per the TOS. - Sorry

I have bought the last lathe I will buy, last spring, it is a great lathe for the money, I just ordered the extension so I can turn out board. Oneway has an adaptor for it with no threads, only an o-ring seal that works fine so far.

I built a Jamieson d handle, and a Randy Privett Laser and his boring bar which a very substansual unit. I am happy so far.

Jim Sample

Adam can't help ya with the lathe but on the hollowing tools I have two sets. I have a set of Keltons 5/16" and 5/8" for free hand hollowing. Like Dario and Bob I bought the Monster Hollow Form tool from Randy Privett. It is one hefty piece and I think with every thing you get including a swan neck it is the best bang for the buck.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Adam,

I have a Powermatic 3520A and I'm sure you'll love the 3520B. If you need to get extra Powermatic parts or items, check out Osolnik Machinery (http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/) I can't speak for their prices on lathes, but I picked up a face plate for $45.00 & a curved tool rest for $54.00.

For lathe prices, I purchased through Amazon & got free shipping. I also hear about something called "Tool Nut" where they will match or beat pricing against Amazon and others. I'm not sure if it was this board or WoodNet where I saw it.

The one thing to keep an eye on when purchasing toolrests (for McNaughton, etc.) is that you have a 20" swing. A lot of the standard posts are made for a 16" swing so things get a little short. Not sure on the hollowers, I haven't bit the bullet for one yet.

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Also.. Powermatic Group at MSN
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 03-16-2007 at 9:12 AM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted per the TOS. - Sorry