Thread: Building My Basement Shop - Ductwork Question

Question Building My Basement Shop - Ductwork Question

I have finally made the move to my new home in Utah. I have one problem though. I have eight foot ceilings and ductwork running down the middle of the shop area The ductwork is nearly four feet wide and hangs down about a foot so I don't have much headroom. I need to frame around this but don't see how I can run 1/2" drywall across the span without any more support than a 1x2. Any suggestions on how to frame and drywall this ductwork? See the picture below:

Shop.jpg

You could build 2 x 4 "walls" around the sides of the ductwork and then use 3/4 plywood between the "walls" (covering the bottom of the ductwork).

That should be plenty strong and not cause you to loose that much more headroom. The 3/4 ply wood be strong enough to accept drywall screws as well.

At least that's how I've done it in the past.

Pauls answer is the best way.

All my soffits are built from 2x2's (ripped 2x4's actually) and hang 1 1/2 below the duct. The plywood trick would gain you 3/4" if headroom was a really tight.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Why not use 1/4" drywall?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Paint it and forget it. It is a work shop. Unless ...

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Jim, 1/4" drywall is not meant for ceilings. It will sag after some time, 1/2" is what works best.

Softits are a snap if you use metal studs...much less weight to deal with and the so-called 2" version is perfect for the job. It will easily support 1/2" drywall. I did my whole basement (including a lot of soffet work) in my previous home with metal and it was great being able to hold up a big, long secion with one hand and use the screw gun with the other hand. No way one can do that with wood...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for your replies! I already have the wood for the sides so I am going to go ahead with the plywood for the bottoms of the soffits. Headroom is the main issue here. I just don't have much and need all I can get because my tablesaw is going to go under this ductwork along with the outfeed/assembly table. I need headroom. Thanks again!

Rather than plywood or drywall - have you considered soft, suspended ceiling tiles. They are VERY lightweight, flexible and putting up the tracks is a breeze - even if you do it solo (I speak as a vetran of 2 basement remodels). I have a big, fat airduct in my home office and that's how I boxed it in.