Thread: Source for alternative furniture material?

Source for alternative furniture material?

Hi, I would like to design a few pieces of furniture that use a combination of wood an metal and plastics an fiberglass etc. etc. Not all together of course or maybe but, Say a table with a thick piece of solid colored poly through it etc. Or poly legs or aluminum legs.
    IS there any sources out there from the internet to order I guess textiles from?

Thanks a bunch

PS As all others say, this site rocks for info, so much knowledge. Probaly 5 milleniums worth.

As for table legs, try www.hardwareattic.ca. They have quite the choice in designer legs.
    Luc

Honey where did I put.....never mind I found it!

a good source of plastic and hardware materials is outwater. their catalog is huge and has all kinds of stuff used by architects, interior designers, exhibit and signage designers etc. lots of pre-made legs and casters available.
    http://www.outwater.com

tap plastics is a great company and has a variety of stock and does custom cutting -- also have a lot of epoxy/resin supplies
    http://www.tapplastics.com/

my strategy for plastic, textiles, and leather is to scout commercial suppliers to the architecture and interiors industry.
    they often have "closeouts" on materials -- usually it's a remainder from a big order, or it's simply too little material for a commercial designer to use.

that way i can get a variety of high quality stuff for cheap, without ordering large amounts. and now i have a variety of "sample materials" to use for mocking up chair models, to show clients, or use in actual projects. and if you have a commission job, the client pays for the final materials anyway. if you're doing spec or gallery furniture, you're not out much.

as for textiles, check out a company called britex. though based in sf they do mail order.
    http://www.britexfabrics.com

then there's always craigslist or just google . . .

Very nice, Thanks alot.I thought this post was going to fall into the abyss..........