Thread: Gloat: Jet Benchtop Spindle Sander

Gloat: Jet Benchtop Spindle Sander

I was at the Chantilly woodworking show in VA (office today so I'd have an excuse to pop over there for the afternoon ) today and stopped by the Cayce booth. Those guys are from North of Baltimore, and have been the source of a bunch of stuff, including all my Festool to date.

They had the Jet Benchtop spindle sander (JBOS-5) for $375, so I snagged one. Most places sell it for around $400 to $450 (amazon sells it for $469 ). Home depot has it online-only for $349, but with something like $60 shipping

I was drooling over the large stationary spindle sander, but just couldn't justify $850 on a sander like that. It sure was nice, though.

Also, Ridgid had a booth there. I don't recall ever seeing them at a woodworking show before. They had their spindle sander for $149. If you're local and want one, that is an unbeatable price.

Pics to follow. It's in a box in my CRV which is currently covered with sleet

Pete

Blog Entries
    Sleet huh? What an excuse, it's almost 90* . . . Oh, yeah, Maryland.

Seriously, congrats on a fine gloat!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm sure you will like it. I don't use mine too often. But when I do use it, it does a great job.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Pete, you will love this sander, it really does a great job. I use mine alot to clean up bandsaw cuts. This is one tool that has really gone up in price, 2 years ago amazon sold it for $329.

Howie

Congratulations, Pete. You'll really enjoy having a OSS in your shop...I find mine quite handy. And I'm envious of your tilting table...my old BOSS doesn't have that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Pete,
    I was in Bellingham Wa. visiting my daughter at WWU and stopped by the Grizzly showroom on the way home just to ooogle a bit. I must have had an amnesiac moment because when I got back home there was a floor model OSS(1071) in the back of the Explorer. Don't recall exactly how it got there. Sure does fit well in the shop tho. I had been thinking about getting one for quite a while and I couldn't pass it up. I liked the 10 spindle sizes up to 4" and the large table size. Haven't really used it officially yet but will in the next few weeks.

Congrats on your Jet, Pete. Let us know how you like it. JCB

A great show - started off like a feeding frenzy and ended with a whimper as the weather moved in and day one wound down. Today (Saturday) should be great. Note: the $149 Ridgid oscillating sander is a refurb, but still a great buy!

That sure looks like a nice machine, and at a fantastic price. Congrats!

Jack

You'll love the Jet spindle sander. I don't use mine often, but when I do it is great. Nice weight and occasionally need to use the tilting table. Dust collection works well too.

I've had my eye on the Rigid -- good price -- good reviews. I hope they show up at the show in S Calif.

Thanks all.

No shop time today - I went to lunch at the local Irish restaurant with family. After that, lots of time with my 1 year old

I hope to set up the Jet spindle sander tomorrow. I recall someone mentioning a good place to get quality sleeves, so I'll check the archives on that.

Yes, the Ridgid was an excellent price. If you want it, you can save a ton at the show. You can't beat $149 for a spindle sander like that.

Pete

Pete, if you don't already have one, make sure you pick up one of these for
    keeping your sleeves clean.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=271

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Howie French
    Pete, if you don't already have one, make sure you pick up one of these for
    keeping your sleeves clean.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=271
    Thanks Howie

I have one that I have used a lot on my disk sander. It really does work well

Pete