Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker PRL Router Lift ?

Woodpecker PRL Router Lift ?

Woodpecker has this lift for the PC7518 for 269.00,is this a pretty good price or have ya'll found them cheaper else where?I would like to have the Bench Dog,but its not on sale.Don't look like Amazon will put them on sale.

I own both the PRL and the Quick Lift. I prefer the Woodpecker's Quick Lift. There are some recent threads on this.

Pete

Blog Entries
    I saw that and it is about the best price I've seen. I'm still torn between the PRL and the Quick Lift however.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

PRL is smoother than the quick lift. Call Justin and ask his preference.

That is a good price on the PRL! Only price cheaper was from Big Leroy who sells a bunch of products on his Ebay store. They all come from Justin anyway.

Just order from Woodpecker and go to the source.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    I own both the PRL and the Quick Lift. I prefer the Woodpecker's Quick Lift. There are some recent threads on this.

Pete
    I decided in favor of the quick lift with the 32 thread precision instead of the PRL model at Pete's (Pete Brown, that is) recommendation and I am glad I took his advice. This gives me the same precision as the PRL and the ability to instantly change the setting rather than having to wind the handle a million times to change settings as on the PRL model. I am VERY impressed with the quality of the Woodpecker products including the metal stand (I got the 27x43), the downdraft box, external on/off switch, wheel kit and phenolic table. Very stable table. I got the aluminum inserts (a total of 8) as well. I use a 7518 PC router with the table. The Incra Wonder Fence should arrive early next week.
    Last edited by Jeff Wright; 03-17-2007 at 8:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Pardon my ignorance; who's Justin?

Thanks.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    Pardon my ignorance; who's Justin?

Thanks.
    He's the guy at Woodpecker that many deal with. I've been getting responses to my emails from him.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick
    PRL is smoother than the quick lift.
    I disagree . . . they're the same IF you specify the 32-thread model when ordering the Quick Lift version. The 32-thread is what the PRL uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    I disagree . . . they're the same IF you specify the 32-thread model when ordering the Quick Lift version. The 32-thread is what the PRL uses.
    PRL is also offered in fast pitch.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    Pete,
    Do the detents on the PRL ever bother you? Does the QL have them as well?

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick
    PRL is also offered in fast pitch.
    But then don't you loose the ability to make the fine tuning that is the benefit of the 32-pitch threads?

Buyers who purchase their Woodpecker from a storefront should be sure which unit they are buying . . . go first to Woodpecker's website and make note of the model number that designates the pitch that you want. More than likely the sales clerk at the store will not know which model number is which lift, the fine or fast pitch one.

I own both the PRL - 32 & the Quick Lift. I believe the PRL is a more of a heavy duty unit. If you are going to use the PC7518 router & large panel raising bits I would go with the PRL. It is easy to change bits on the Quick Lift

Glen,
    Your question was not directed at me but.
    I have never had a problem with the detents on the PRL.
    The Quick Lift does not have detents.

The bench dog was $235 last month with free shipping but i missed that deal. However, i just got mine yesterday from Amazon ($299 free shipping) and let me tell you, this is one very high quality piece of equipment! It's also Heavy !!

With the cost of shipping from Woodpeckers, the Bench Dog is only ~$20 more. If you don't have the PC 7518, you'll need to add another $20 for the adapter (my adapter will be here Monday).

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    I saw that and it is about the best price I've seen. I'm still torn between the PRL and the Quick Lift however.
    Glenn,

I just purchased the Woodpecker PRL two weeks ago and decided on the 32 TPI version. One of the concerns I had (before making my decision) was whether or not the effort involved with cranking the router up and down would detract from the value of the increased accuracy.

After having the opportunity to look at and/or play with both the PRL and the Quick-lift models at the local Woodcraft store - I opted for the PRL. Both are extremely well built units... however nearly every time I made the lift on the quick-lift model, I pulled the plate out of the table. I found this to be more concerning than cranking the handle a few extra turns.

By the way… I purchased my PC7518 through Amazon and received a B&D screwdriver free. Based on feedback from fellow Creekers - I've adapted this to work with the PRL and have at least taken the arm out of the lift cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    I own both the PRL - 32 & the Quick Lift. I believe the PRL is a more of a heavy duty unit. If you are going to use the PC7518 router & large panel raising bits I would go with the PRL. It is easy to change bits on the Quick Lift
    In theory, the PRL is more heavy duty. However, I have two Milwaukee 5625 motors, one in each. The 5625 is one of the biggest motors you can get. I can't tell the difference between the two in terms of sturdiness or anything else that counts.

Pete

edit: The two meaing the quicklift and the PRL. Also, I have run very large panel raising bits using the quicklift. No problems there.
    Last edited by Pete Brown; 03-17-2007 at 3:51 PM.