Thread: How low can you go...

How low can you go...

I use Chemcraft pre-cat lacquer. I was planning on spraying panels for my paneled wall this weekend, but now the forecast is for pretty cool. Without consideration for humidity, what's the lowest temperature you can spray this stuff? And expect it to dry properly (figured I better clarify that, being it's only a couple days from April 1st).

And a follow up: I hear lots of folks using shellac or BLO to "pop the grain". Are these folks really getting anything different than a first thin coat of lacquer.

Thanks,

Bill W.

Check with the specifications for the product you are using for tempurature ranges. And yes, using oil and/or shellac will often accentuate the grain more noticably than just a clear lacquer will.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

>> I hear lots of folks using shellac or BLO to "pop the grain". Are these folks really getting anything different than a first thin coat of lacquer.

The answer is a kinda "it depends".

Lacquers have a range of intensity of amber color to them. Some are virtually water clear while others can be as amber as an oil based varnish. It's the amber color that "pops" the grain. That's the reason that BLO works well. Most shellac is also amber is color so, again, it will highlight grain and figure.

The only way to determine what it would do for you is to make up sample boards from scrap to test.
    Howie.........