Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for baltic birch plywood

Looking for baltic birch plywood

i am looking for baltic birch plywood in 1/2"x60"x60" sheets. despite a lot of googling and using woodfinder.com, i have been unable to find a dealer within an hour of augusta GA, or one who is willing to ship whole sheets for less than $150 freight! i did find a dealer about 45 miles away who carries "russian birch" for a reasonable price. is this the same as baltic birch? i would appreciate any help or advice that you can give me. thanks

I looked into this preparing for a loudspeaker project

The plans were very specific calling for Baltic Birch. It appears that the term Russian birch can be used interchangably. One stray thread on a woodworking site explained that as the forests in the baltics were starting to become depleted the sourcing switched to the North or generally the Russian area. Some sources suggested that the generic term Baltic Birch is now applied liberally and little of the plywood is sourced in the original regions.

The 1/2" will be a little under in width of course but less so than most plywood. On some Baltic Birch I picked up at the Seattle Rockler Store I see 9 layers and it is about 1/32 under 1/2". I looked at a few local sources for the 3/4" my speaker project called for and find you still want to pick and choose a bit depending on how it is stored. There are nice flat pieces and bowed sheets.

Probably the thing to do is call, determine how many layers there are, whether there are any voids. There should be no voids in theory although the more accurate description from the vender was that there could be a rare few.

Hope that helps,
    Larry

I have noticed that some Menards now carry Baltic Birch plywood

Some lumberyards can order stuff they don't normally carry. I get my baltic birch at a local contractor lumberyard (not a hardwood place). They don't normally stock it but can get it, and sometimes have a sheet or two around. I find it's best to go in person, and talk to someone there. Sometimes when they answer the phone it's just not the same.

plywood source

They are NOT within an hour of Augusta, but I have talked with North American Plywood Corp. http://www.northamply.com/

I was looking for Baltic Birch and the the big orange box store is not the place to go. I found these guys on the net somewhere. The prices are not too bad but like you mentioned the shipping cost is an issue, unless you need a bunch.

They sent samples of several different products they handle and they all look good. The rep also mentioned that supply was getting tight. He said that the area where the trees are cut didn't freeze long enough this winter to allow a typical harvest...

As stated, "Baltic" and "Russian" birch are pretty much interchangable. You might also look for "ApplePly" from local suppliers. If you are not a pro, it may pay you to get to know a local cabinetmaker who has a relationship with the plywood suppliers. Jumping on one of their orders could give you access to "the good stuff" as well as save you money over retail. The cabinet shop gets to increase their buying volume a skoosh and make a little markup on your sheets if they want.

I now have an arragement with my cabinetmaker neighbor in this respect...he buys from the big local wholesaler and I'm going to need material for my home addition cabinetry projects. I refuse to spend a single penny at the 'borg anymore for inferior goods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was in HD getting some screws and passing the lumber 2'x4', 3/4" cutoffs BB, 13 ply was $9.38 each and the pieces were in good shape. Grade was probably B/BB...

I found some 22mm birch ply at Home Depot that worked for making drawer parts. Could not find the BB ply locally.Brian

Jim's idea is best.

If you can't do that then call any local lumberyard. I get 5'x5' 12mm Baltic Birch (grade B/BB) from a lumber yard in Clare, MI. Clare has a pop of 3173 as of the 2000 census.

Any void free quality ply can be used interchangeably with Baltic birch. Apply ply is an american version.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    Jim,

It will probably be about a 1 hour drive for you.

Roy's Wood Products
    329 Thrush Ln.
    Lugoff, SC 29078

Phone: 803-438-1590

They are at Exit / Mile Marker 92 on I-20 and their web-site is royswoodproducts.com
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Try Wall Lumber at link below.

www.walllumber.com

Jim

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Look in the yellow pages for plywood or costume woodmouldings. Any places that deals with coustum moldings should be able to get it for you. You culd call a few cabinet makers and ask them where they get it. I would not buy the stuff Home Depot sells. It has very thin verneer and warps alot when cut.

thanks all for your suggestions. as usual, this site "rocks" with good advice. it sounds like the russian birch may be my best bet. i found a place near columbia SC that carries it, and its on my way to my parents house in charlotte, NC. if his product is not adequate, then i may try Roy's wood products as suggested by Von. i think we may be a bit slow here in augusta - i called 5 cabinet makers as suggested by jim, but 4 of the 5 had not heard of BB, just regular birch! i'll keep trying, though - there are a few more in the book. steve wall sounds like a great resource for future hardwood shipments, but he can't ship full 60" sheets unless its part of a 100 BF order - but his prices are great. i'll update you after my lumber weekend run (i'm going to pick up 100 BF of 6/4 walnut that a cousin donated to my father)!

Jim, I also buy from Roy's Wood Products. 1-800-727-1590
    Their BB is 60'X60" @~28 bucks.
    If you go, see Doug Eastman, he will have all the time you need. Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Malone
    Jim, I also buy from Roy's Wood Products. 1-800-727-1590
    Their BB is 60'X60" @~28 bucks.
    If you go, see Doug Eastman, he will have all the time you need. Bob
    You may be able to do a short tour. Very interesting. They build "A LOT" of cabinet doors there.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution