Thread: Forum question

Question Forum question

Okay, I've wondered about this since day 1. Let's say I hit the view new posts button. And since I'm a slow reader it takes me 20 minutes to read all the new posts. Then, after reading all of them, I hit the "mark all forums read" button. But, since that time 5 people have created new posts. Will they be marked as read too, therefore losing them? Or the next time that I log on and hit the new posts button, will they ba there? The only reason I ask is that it seems like I'm missing a few posts here and there, and I don't remember reading them. I'm getting senile in my old age, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter
    Okay, I've wondered about this since day 1. Let's say I hit the view new posts button. And since I'm a slow reader it takes me 20 minutes to read all the new posts. Then, after reading all of them, I hit the "mark all forums read" button. But, since that time 5 people have created new posts. Will they be marked as read too, therefore losing them? Or the next time that I log on and hit the new posts button, will they ba there? The only reason I ask is that it seems like I'm missing a few posts here and there, and I don't remember reading them. I'm getting senile in my old age, I guess!
    in my experience, it seems they get marked as read. in other words, "mark all posts read" is a point in time operation, and may include more posts than appear on your screen.

i avoid this by reading thru the new posts list, then clicking again on "View New Posts" to see if anything's changed since i displayed the initial index. repeat until nothing new shows up, and then mark all read.

of course, YMMV - keith or aaron are probably better equipped to answer,

b

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    in my experience, it seems they get marked as read. in other words, "mark all posts read" is a point in time operation, and may include more posts than appear on your screen.

i avoid this by reading thru the new posts list, then clicking again on "View New Posts" to see if anything's changed since i displayed the initial index. repeat until nothing new shows up, and then mark all read.

of course, YMMV - keith or aaron are probably better equipped to answer,

b
    When you open the forums using "View New Posts", the list of posts that
    is returned is saved on the server. This "search result" is saved for a good
    period of time.. that way you can hit the back button, or return later after
    lunch or what have you.

Incidently, since this search is saved--I strongly recommend clicking
    "View New Posts" once more, just before leaving, so that you get any
    posts that were made while you were reading. Then mark all forums as
    read and be on your way. (But don't forget to come back!!!)

_Aaron_