Thread: Finish on Shop Furniture and Jigs

Finish on Shop Furniture and Jigs

What do people finish their shop storage and jigs with? I have been building a storage chest under my workbench out of BB and Maple veneer plywood. On a RAS cabinet I used a polyurethane, the fumes of which were strong in the house for at least a couple days. Is there something that would have less solvent off gassing? I am looking for a clear finish.

Thanks,

Mike

This will be moved to the finish forum soon but here goes...

Anything waterbased or shellac is what you need.

I normally finish drawers with zinseer shellac cut to 2#. Cabinet parts and anything with a clear hard finish gets Target USL waterbased.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    I'm with Joe. Shellac is goof proof and inexpensive and easily repaired / repeated.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ditto. Shellac is inexpensive, easy to use, fast drying, repairable, and looks good to boot. Plus, the wax content (if it's not dewaxed) makes for smoothly sliding jig parts.

just one question. why does shop storage and jigs need to be finished? I may be nieve here, but It is just shop storage and equipment right??

Nothing at all for jigs. The idea of a jig is to make the work go faster. Delaying the process for hours or days to make the jig look pretty doesn't make much sense to me. If a surface needs to be slippery, I'll put some paste wax on it, but that's it.

If it's a storage cabinet, shellac or a waterbased finish will give you some protection from spills and such without stinking up the house.

Bob Lang

Nothing or BLO or BLO/Shellac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What is BLO?

Thanks,

Mike

If it needs a finish, it'll probably get whatever I have on hand and that might be paint of a light color. To me it's the old form vs function debate and in a shop environment function wins -- who cares about pretty or form

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz
    What is BLO?

Thanks,

Mike
    Boiled linseed oil

This: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=abbreviations will give you a whole list of the shortcuts we take on here.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    just one question. why does shop storage and jigs need to be finished? I may be nieve here, but It is just shop storage and equipment right??
    For me, if it's a quick one-time jig, no finish unless there is a reason like glue release. Others that get repeated use or shop storage, shellac takes nearly zero time, reduces splinters, and does not accumulate dust--easier to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    Anything made of wood will last longer and be stabler if it is sealed with a finish. Temperature and humidity levels change radically over the seasons in my neck of the woods, so the minimal effort it takes to slap on a coat of shellac (usually in the evening before leaving the shop, so no time lost) seems worthwhile to me.
    As far as being 'just a shop', I don't see any benefit in having an ugly, strickly utilitarian workspace. Form never trumps function, but I place a lot of value in having an inspiring and attactive environment to work in. To each his/her own.

Hello Mike,
    I use MinWax water poly for a clear coay. It's fairly tough, easy cleanup and the Lowes right down the street carries it.
    I've made it my standard clear finish kind of by accident.
    I had 3 or 4 small cans of it laying around so i oured them off into a larger can. Now when I need a clear for something, I pick up a can at Lowes and what I don't use, I pour into the "slop bucket".

The other thing I use is mistinted paint from the same Lowes. Again, I have a "slop bucket" that I pour most leftover latex into. I also have a can of almost black dark gray.
    Most of the nasty mistints are pretty dark colored. By mixing it all together and addding some of the very dark gray, I end up with a pretty consistant "utility gray" for around the shop.

I was reminded this past Friday that uncoated wood can warp. My circular saw board - painted yellow - could double for one of the McDonalds golden arches.