Thread: 3/4 round molding

3/4 round molding

I have just installed floating wood flooring all thru my daughters house and now I need to put down 3/4 round molding against the baseboard to cover the 1/4 space left for expansion as per instructions on the box...the problem I have is that it will cost a lot for predone at the borg...I want to use my router table to make it for her...any advise on the size bit I need to get...3/4 bit doesnt seem to make a complete half moon or am I missing something..using 3/4 MDF....thanks alot

Jerry

Shoe Moulding Would Be Just As Appropriate. It Is Only 1/2' X 3/4' And Can Easily Be Made With A Roundover Bit. The Moulding Doesn't Have To Be 3/4 By 3/4, Unless That Is Specifically What You Want. You Could Also Use A Small Ogee Bit To Make The Profile Cut.
    Randy Paulk

I have a set of roundover bits and have used them to make various sizes of 1/4 round moulding. I found it was a lot easier to rout the profile on the full board and then cut the moulding off on a table saw. I have only made lengths to complete projects-not for a project like yours so it might be kind of difficult with long stock.

thank you for the replies...I want to be able to come out from the baseboard 3/4 and 3/4 high if I can

Unless you want to have a true 1/4 round just use a round over on the top and make a 3/4" high shoe mould.

Same effect with a little different look.

Milling your own lets you get the look you want. Make a couple samples and decide which is best then go to town.

Bob's advice about a tablesaw is good. Take a wider board and profile both sides then rip the moulding free. MDF isn't super expensive so I would use a piece about 3 inches wide or so and toss the scrap. Much safer on fingers that way.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"