Thread: What type of medium for wet sanding Target USL

What type of medium for wet sanding Target USL

Just curious what everyone uses when wetsanding Target USL. I usually use water when doing poly but not sure if that is ideal.

Maybe I missed it on the instructions but curious as to everyones thoughts.

Thanks

Thats what I use, except I put in a drop of dishwashing soap into the container of water I'm using.

Bob

Charles I usually use water with the tradtional drop of dish washing detergent also, however you also need to decide how you will deal with the white residue that is created in this process. I typically sand with 600 grit wet/dry paper and then rub down with steel wool. I usually use some Old English scratch cover to clean up the residue and this will color in the bits that get caught in the crevices and places that are hard to clean it from.

Good luck and don't sand thru.

Ron

I just used water. I kept changing the water and wiping the surface which helped somewhat with the white residue (very visible on walnut.) I found that the Minwax furniture wax I used over the laquer turned the residue clear.

I don't wet sand Target USL. Within a day of finishing (some would say the finish is not yet cured) I machine sand the gloss USL with 400 grit sandpaper, then go to abranet 600 grit machine sanded, then rub briefly with a dry towel. (I fold dead sander sheets to hand sand the corners missed by the ROS.) It gives a great satin finish. If someone wants semigloss, I go to 800 grit abranet before the towel.