Thread: Suggestions Wanted for HVLP System

Suggestions Wanted for HVLP System

I have a refundable deposit on an Apollo Model 1025 HVLP system that I selected at the Central Florida Woodworkers' Show in Tampa this week. Before finalizing the deal, I'd like to know your thoughts about what system brings the best results. The 1025 is a 4-stage system rated at 8.0 psi and 130 cfm. I have a choice of either their bleed or non-bleed gun (and am leaning towards the non-bleeder). I would add their optional needle kit, giving four different needle sizes in total. It also includes a 34 foot x 5/8" air flex hose, Zahn #2 viscosity meter, 17-piece cleaning kit, and a pint-size paint container in addition to the larger standard paint resevoir. While I intended to get a spray system, I was not expecting to purchase one now, but you know how one falls under the "ether spell" at these shows. Heck, I nearly came home with a Powermatic 3520B lathe and a Legacy milling machine!!!

When i bought my Accuspray system i opted for the 2qt remote cup and i'm ever so happy i did. Basically, you put your finish in the 2 qt "pressure pot" and run a supply hose from it to the gun. This buys you a LOT more freedom since it removes the 1 qt cup from the gun; No chance of dragging the gun mounted cup across a freshly sprayed top and adds the ability to spray in any direction, even upside down. If they offer this option i'd go for it!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

First take a look at the Wood Magazine issue where they rated 10 HVLP systems. They liked the Accuspray 231-T best. The Apollo system required thinning of some finishes, whereas the Accuspray, Turbinaire, and Fuji systems didn't. The Accuspray also was able to shoot a fan of spray of anywhere between 1 to 12 inches. I was dismayed to see that the Fuji system I had just bought could only adjust down to 5". I don't know if that will be much of an issue, never have used a spray system yet. Other than that, the Fuji rated about as highly as the Accuspray.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

fuji

Dan

I haven't read the review that you mentioned, but I've had the Fuji Q3 Pro for over a year, and used it quite a bit. I don't know how the magazine determined that it could only go down to 5". But, I can certainly go smaller than that. I can paint a pin strip with it. You turn the wings to the diagonal, rather than horizontal or vertical, and you get a point spray. You need to reduce the liquid flow because you are concentrating it, rather than fanning it out. But it works like a charm.

Grant
    Ottawa ON
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Jeff, if you are going to primarily use water base finishes, then you have to clean the outfit every time you use it. Although cleaning Target USL is extremely easy, I wish I had the short path of a gravity cup (like my conversion gun), rather than a pressure cup on the gun (as I do on my turbinaire system).

If you are going to primarily use solvent based lacquer or shellac - both finishes where the solvent evaporates rather than a chemical reaction to create the finish film, then there is no concept of skin in the can or spray gun - the solvent keeps it fluid. I don't empty or clean the guns I use for shellac or solvent lacquer.

A separate pressure pot is great - it reduces the weight in your hand, and allows spraying in all directions as others have said. I have a 5 quart pressure pot from 40 years ago and loved it, except for one detail... there sure is a lot to clean. If you are going to spray a lot of material, or are always going to spray the same solvent based finish, and if the finish wont destroy the seals and hoses, that may be a great way to go. But if you have to clean it... well, I haven't used my pressure pot in 30 years.