Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Question

Electrical Question

I need a 30 amp 120 volt GFI circuit. I have a Square D Homeline box and all I can find are double pole 30 amp breakers. Can I run one 110 v line in to that breaker or does it have to be a single pole breaker? Thanks Dave
    Last edited by Dave Bonde; 03-26-2007 at 3:06 PM.

Dave, Yes there are single pole 30 amp breakers, first check codes to see if you can use it for your application and make sure you are using the correct wire for that breaker...

yeah you can do it ..

Ted I can't find a single pole breaker. Square D had one for my box at one time but it shows that it is no longer made - Can I use a double pole breaker with one 110 line. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dickey
    yeah you can do it ..

Thanks Jack!

Dave

Hi, what do you need the 30 ampere GFI circuit for?

GFCI is normally only used for portable tools or appliances, larger items do not use GFCI circuits. I can't imagine what portable tool you would own that required a 30 ampere circuit.

Regards, Rod.

30 Amp Breaker

DO NOT TRY TO FEED 30 AMPS NORMAL HOUSE WIRE OR YOU WILL BE HURT !!!! . 30 AMPS is usually 220 volt for Dryer or Hot tub Why do you need 30 Amps 110 ????

Is this for a small welder? There are surface mount 120/240v 30a made specifically for that. Add some 10ga. wire, the 30a breaker which could be a single or a double given that the double will trip the unused side anyway in the event of an overload...you don't have to use both sides.

My .02Cdn.
    J.R.

It is for a whirlpool bath and heater for the bath. It is a 10 gauge wire

Who cares what he needs it for? If you want 120volts, use EITHER a single pole breaker or 1/2 of a double pole breaker (not tied together). Then you can use the other side for something else in the future. As always, make sure your wire is appropriately sized (I think you need at least 10 guage - but please confirm this with your local code/inspector).

Dave, go to your local Square D electric wholesaler/distributor. There is no need to waste extra money and space on a 2-pole breaker. The BORGS don't carry unique breakers like this. You need model HOM130GFI for the Homeline panel or QO130GFI for a QO style panel. If your breakers are the narrow breakers with the orange visi-trip window, then you have QO breakers.

Thanks Ryan before I asked the question here I looked everywhere for the Hom130GFI with no luck, and it is no longer listed on the Square D website. If you know of a source that has one I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Myers
    Dave, go to your local Square D electric wholesaler/distributor. There is no need to waste extra money and space on a 2-pole breaker. The BORGS don't carry unique breakers like this. You need model HOM130GFI for the Homeline panel or QO130GFI for a QO style panel. If your breakers are the narrow breakers with the orange visi-trip window, then you have QO breakers.

Dave, I knew you would get many replies. Let me call my electrical distribitor today and see what he has, I am thinking a visi trip single QO would be about $11.00 not including shipping depending where you live. Is the breaker 3/4" wide...

I think it is 3/4" but I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I don't think the breaker I am looking for is not 11.00

Dave after a quick review of my Square D catalog this morning. You are correct... they don't make a Homeline single pole 30a GFI breaker. They only make that size in the QO series.

My question to you is do you know that the heater actually draws more than 20 amps? I have hooked up a number of these units over the years and I can't recall any that ever used over a 20 amp circuit. So you may be able to get by with a 20 amp breaker. What is the total wattage?