Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat blade countersink bit

Flat blade countersink bit

I saw a contractor not long ago drilling countersinks with a flat blade steel bit. It was really fast and strong. It is all one piece. Not like the Dewalt etc. countersinks that are two piece with replaceable bits. I have broke way to many of these.

I asked him where he bought it and he couldn't recall. Although he said that he always gets asked this when people see the bit.

Has anyone ever seen one? Where do you get them?

I wish I had a picture, but I've been googling all night and haven't found one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr
    I saw a contractor not long ago drilling countersinks with a flat blade steel bit. It was really fast and strong. It is all one piece. Not like the Dewalt etc. countersinks that are two piece with replaceable bits. I have broke way to many of these.

I asked him where he bought it and he couldn't recall. Although he said that he always gets asked this when people see the bit.

Has anyone ever seen one? Where do you get them?

I wish I had a picture, but I've been googling all night and haven't found one.
    My dad has some of these and we have not been able to find them anywhere...joe

Blog Entries
    I had some about 30 years ago. Seems I got them at the local hardware store back when there were such things. Stanley maybe(?). Anyway they were fast and rough . .. but fast.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Make you own from an old spade bit.
    Just grind or file the profile you want. Many C-sinks are 82-Degrees includes. Aircraft c-sinks are 100-Deg.

countersinks

Grant
    Ottawa ON

how about this?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MMD-...ilot-Drill-Bit

i know its for cabinet connecting screws but maybe one of the sizes are right for what you need?

Thanks Grant, I break a lot of pilot bits.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Jeff, Black and Decker made a 5 pc. Countersink and Screw Pilot Assortment many years ago that is a flat countersink with a round shaft that gets chucked in the drill. Model # U1588. They were about 2" long overall. I know this because I have had this set sitting in my drill bit drawer for probably 25 years. I keep looking at it when I open that drawer and just don't know why I don't throw it out since it looks so cheap and useless that I haven't ever used it. BTW, what was so special about a flat countersink. If you want a really good countersink and pilot drill setup, buy a set made by W.L. Fuller. Woodcraft carries them.

They are still available. I don't want them, but for those that do, Amazon has them, and it looks like they are at Ace Hardware too. Search under the part number Model # U1588 listed above...joe

Old Craftsman Set

I have had this old set from Craftsman for more than 30 years. The stop is long gone, the spring metal clip that gave you 3 different depths of CS, broke and I can't find it any more. Half the bits are lost and most have been sharpened numerous times. I doubt these are available any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe's the winner

I think Joe found them. My monitor pic is not so great, but that sure looks like right ones.

Thanks for the find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dik Harrison
    I have had this old set from Craftsman for more than 30 years. ... I doubt these are available any more.
    It doesn't appear so. I looked on Sears site for these yesterday with no luck. I've got the same set except mine is in a plastic pouch with dividers for each bit. A couple of the bits either got lost or had the tip snap off but I do still have the stop collar. I dont find the collar all that useful though as I normally just put them in the DP and control the depth with the DP. It is nice for cordless drill use though. Dont know why they stopped selling those. They work pretty good.
    Use the fence Luke

I still have a few that I use occasionally. I think I got a set from Sears many (20-25?) years ago. They raise some fuzz around the edge of the cut, but other wise work fine.

U1588 Flat Blade Countersink Bits

Jules, Joe, and others -

I am looking for a set of these. Apparently no longer available from Black and Decker. If you have any you are not using - especially the #8-10 size - I would like to buy them. They work well enough for me on soft woods, osb, and plywood.

Thank you.

Rick Blunden
    Davis, CA

If you were good with a grinder you could resharpen a Kreg step drill bit to countersink. I might try it with one of my dull bits.