Thread: HVLP Gun -- now what

HVLP Gun -- now what

My wife bought me a HVLP spray gun for Xmas. I have not idea how to use it at all. I have a pan cake compressor and hoses. What do I need now and what should I be looking out for? I have fence that needs paint and I thought I would make my first attemtp at spraying something that if I mess it up. I don't have to look at it much.

Go to Amazon and order Andy Charron's Spray Painting. It will give you the info to get set up and then tell you how to get the most out of your equipment. You must learn and practice thinning the finish, how to adjust the spray pattern and how to "read" the spray to know when things are going right. Get some cardboard boxes to practice on. Don't let a real project be your learning experience.
    Howie.........

Dan, you didn't mention what gun you got, and it may or may not be good for spraying paint and or working with your pancake compressor. The former because you may not have the right projector sets (needle/nozzle, etc) for thicker material and the latter because the compressor may or may not be able to supply enough air flow for your gun. More information might be useful to folks to lend help.

But I second Howie's suggestion for the Charon book and for practice. Excellent advice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it is just a fence, who cares.

Fill up the cup and go for it. Twist all the knobs every which way and play with it. It is hard to screw up a fence.

If you get runs or sags, just spray on more and run it to the bottom.

An HVLP or conventional or old fashion gun isn't really for fences but I can't think of a better thing to try first.

Thanks, I will look into the book. That is kind of what I thought -- it is a fence and I am going to put stain on it, not paint. The compressor is a 4 gallon Husky and the gun is a Husky HDS530 Multi-purpose gun. Suposes to be good for latex paint. I suspect my wife has plans for some additional painting around the house is why she got the gun.