Thread: Greene & Greene

Greene & Greene

I have Darrell Pearts book on G&G furniture. In it is a coffee table in the back with only the total height and length dimensions. I'd like to attempt it but don't know what scale it is. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

Michael,

If it's a photo and you know at least one dimension, you should be able to make your own scale. Cut a strip of paper and put it next to the known dimension. For the purposes of discussion let's say height. Make a mark on the strip next to the top and bottom of the table. Then fold the strip in half and line up the marks you just made. Unfold. If the known dimension is 18", then the mark left by the fold is 9". Continue folding until you get the smallest usable fold. From this new accordian looking paper you should be able to extract the rest of your unknown dimensions.

I've used this many times and it really works.

PM me if my description isn't clear.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Michael.....I have a cheap cad program. When I want to scale or measure something......I import the photo.....then adjust the scale in the CAD program until the known measures what I know that measurement is.....After that it's just a matter of measuring the unknown measurements.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You could email Darrell...his website is at http://www.furnituremaker.com/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    Michael,

If it's a photo and you know at least one dimension, you should be able to make your own scale. Cut a strip of paper and put it next to the known dimension.
    <snip>

I've used this many times and it really works.
    I understand how that would help with other measurements in the same dimension, the same distance from the camera, but how do you acount for the effect of perspective on items further from the camera and viewing angle on the other two dimensions? Maybe an example will help me understand the method. Here is an image of two rectangular solids.
    boxes.jpg
    The vertical edge nearest the camera is 30". I don't see how your method can give me the height of the box sitting on the top of the other one (although I see how you could figure it out by measuring the other two vertical edges that are assumed to be 30"). But I don't see how you can tell the two horizontal dimensions of either box.

Here's another picture of the same solid, from which your method would seem to generate dramatically different measurements, if I understand correctly what you are saying.
    boxes2.jpg

This topic interests me. I always assumed you needed sample x,y, and z measurementsfrom the same point, (or points equidistant from the camera) to get full measurements of a rectilinear object. But if it is possible with less, I'd be very interested.

Darrell also haunts (maybe moderates) the G&G group at Yahoo.

Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Remove direct link to forum -- Not allowed by TOS
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Yeilding
    This topic interests me. I always assumed you needed sample x,y, and z measurementsfrom the same point, (or points equidistant from the camera) to get full measurements of a rectilinear object. But if it is possible with less, I'd be very interested.
    From a conversation outside of this thread, I undertand now that you need measurements only in one direction, using vanishing points to account for perspective. And while I'd like someday to do it "the hard way" to get a better feel for what is happening, the photomatch feature introduced to SU in version 6 (including the free version) does all the heavy lifting.

Thanks for all the replies. Alot of different ideas. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Mike

Dimensions

Hi Mike - Jim Baker alerted me to your posting.
    The drawings in my book were not published to any particular scale. I drew them at 1:1 in my CAD program and my publisher simply made them fit the page.

I like Joe's advice for scaling - that should get you most of what you need. I don't think I still have a cut list for the coffee table but if there is some particular dimension you are having trouble with let me know - I will get it for you.
    Good Luck

Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Handrinos View Post
    I have Darrell Pearts book on G&G furniture. In it is a coffee table in the back with only the total height and length dimensions. I'd like to attempt it but don't know what scale it is. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Peart View Post
    Hi Mike - Jim Baker alerted me to your posting.
    The drawings in my book were not published to any particular scale. I drew them at 1:1 in my CAD program and my publisher simply made them fit the page.

I like Joe's advice for scaling - that should get you most of what you need. I don't think I still have a cut list for the coffee table but if there is some particular dimension you are having trouble with let me know - I will get it for you.
    Good Luck

Darrell

\
    Hi Darrell,

Great to see you posting here.
    Take care,
    Jim

Hi Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont View Post
    Hi Darrell,

Great to see you posting here.

Hi Jim - Good to hear from you. Just to let you know - the pen you gave me has a permanent spot here on the top of my desk - I use it when signing anything important. Thank You!!!!

......Darrell

Thanks to all.

Mike