Thread: Design ideas - half walls w/columns

Design ideas - half walls w/columns

Hi,

I just bought these awesome colums from Century Porch Post.

I am going to build half walls for the columns to visually divide my kitchen from my dining room, I have put them up just to see what they look like. I know lots of houses already have these, so if you do, I would love to see pictures, or if you have built them yourself, I would love to see that too!

(They will be painted white - wall will be repainted lighter, all the trim to be painted white).

Thanks!

That will be a nice design addition, Gail.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gail,

Gord Graff did something similar on the Canadianwoodworking.com forum, with lots of photos. It might be of interest to you. I sent the link to you in a PM.

These columns are fairly delicate. So I wonder about a fairly light/slender wall also. Maybe not even a wall, but a half-bookcase?
    "It's Not About You."

Posts & 1/2 Walls

Gail,
    Not sure I can dig up a pic, but my parents have something like you are referring to in their house dividing the dining room from a sitting room.
    It's a 1920's "ish" 4 square New England style craftsman house .... all original woodwork etc. There are lengths of maple in their floors that are AT LEAST 20'!!! Anyway.....
    The columns sit on 1/2 walls with some leaded glass windows in the little cabinets built in the 1/2 walls. I just love the old glass and the decor in on display is all "period appropriate".... looks like whoever built the house in 1920 left their stuff on the shelves.
    So my suggestion (at least to suit my style) for the 1/2 walls would be to emulate what I mentioned above... or maybe make the 1/2 walls with glass panels on both sides?
    Not sure if I helped....
    Greg

Well, it's done... I am pleased, the painter is coming on Monday. BTW - I love bookcase glass, shelf ideas - but with two big dogs and three little kids, I decided to keep it simple.

Last edited by Gail O'Rourke; 03-28-2007 at 7:04 PM.

Beautiful, Gail! That will work well.

Of course, I happen to like the green...but I guess you're up for a new look! LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great, Gail! You sure don't waste any time, do you!?

Oh, and your dog must be camera shy, since you only seem to be getting the tail in your photos...
    "It's Not About You."

Post They look great Gial, but somthing is missing?

Hi Gail,
    Those columns look great - nice touch! Just a little advice and my opinion. I am a high end remodeling and decorating contractor and I am very familiar with Greek architecture. There is a balance that is portrayed when you are working with this type of structure. If you look at it , it feels like there is something missing ~ that is, the wall ends. If you could purchase one more of those columns , cut it in half and mount both halves to each end point of the walls it will complete the architectural look and give it a well balanced appearance. If you have a passion for architecture and would like to dive into it's workings there are two books that I highly recommend, my favorite books of all to read and study ~ The American Vignola by William R. Ware and Classical Architecture by James Stevens Curl . Both of these books are very illustrated well with clear definitions and history of Architecture from the past. I have attached a photo of what I meant by balance. If you were to take the 1/2 post columns away from the drawing it leaves an unfinished appearance to the architecture. Just my opinion Gail - what you have done looks great Gail, great job and it gives the transition from one room to the other a lot of character.
    Regards,

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 03-31-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Brian,

That is a great idea, and I know that I can get them as half columns. If you look at the first picture, you will see the larger room with the beam. Would I then have to wrap the beam with some sort of molding? The room is very informal and there is no crown in the room... if I can get away with just a second column to dress it up - that would be a great addition to it. The paint is going up on Monday...so I will be able to see how it blends then.

I also cannot make the box on the left wider/thicker - because it runs along the hallway .

Post Paint?

Hi Gail,

Are you painting that whole assembly (columns, knee wall) or are you going to be staining ? As far as wrapping the whole support beam , normally yes- and there would be a lot more to it than just wrapping it with a wood face. I would finish the faces where the beam meets the ceiling with a 5/8" thick and 4" wide ceiling wood plate trim board, mounted on the ceiling and extending over 4" beyond each end of the beam with some type of edging . ogee maybe, routed on the 3 sides facing outward, the flat back end of the ceiling plate would but up against the beam and would overhang where the beam ends 3-4" . Cove molding with the ends returned into the wall recessed back far enough from the end of ceiling plate so the narrow profile side ov the cove molding(wall side) lines up with the vertical edge of the faced beam wrap . On the bottom edge of the knee wall sill plate you would repeat the same process (with out the ceiling board trin- no need- you would be using the sill) and carry that right around all three sides. You can do this with a smaller profile and that would be OK. It can actually get very elaborate and this is a simple profile. There is one problem with doing this , as you walk from either direction you will see the but end of the wood beam wrap. Normally in this case you take vertical trim from the floor all the way up to the ceiling plate with a decorative edging on the outer side working all 3 sides (like wrapping the beam) ,on the middle part of the wrap (between the knee wall and the beam ) this face wrap would be cut to allow for the base and the capital that you used for the whole columns, you would do the same with the half columns and install the 1/2 column on the wall plate (part of the wrap I just mentioned) . Finishing the wrap in the dinning room, Since you can't do the same with the vertical trim as you did in the living room (not sure what room it is) you would just edge the face wrap, ( I would do this first, obviously) ,the piece that the 1/2 column would be mounted on, just router an edge on the side that is facing the inside of the dinning room. I wouldn't install a vertical trim peice on the dinning room wall- that would not look correct and out of place. The knee walls should be finished with a raised panel design and shaped on the edges , respectfully to the rest of the edging . This is a very simple design and not to elaborate. you don't want to go to fancy with this or that's all your Friends will look at ,scratching their head, " so, when are you going to do the rest of the house"-LOL , If your going to paint it, I would match the rest of the trim color (windows) , and if you plan to stain the architectural structure - I would match the floor. I,personally, love the look of wood and all it's unique features ,and in my line of work, it's either natural or stained and sealed. Imagine what that would like like matching the beautiful color of your floor- it would be absolutely stunning and a very impressive piece of architecture in your home. If you don't plan on doing this I would at least do something to balance out from the floor to the ceiling- if nothing else make another 2 identical sill plate from the knee wall and install them upside down on the beam and it will have a nice finished look to it. You are doing a great job Gail, and I can appreciate what you are doing!
    Regards,
    Brain
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 03-31-2007 at 9:21 PM.

Gail,
    Those columns look great. It's a fine way to add separation between rooms without giving them a closed-off feeling. Please post again after the painter is done.

-Jeff

Brain, thanks for your thoughtful response...sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I have a big delivery tomorrow - anyway - the painter is finishing up tomorrow and it looks amazing. Will decide after that where to add more trim.

Thanks all!