Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you inflate a tubeless tire?

How do you inflate a tubeless tire?

Well, I parked my wheel barrow for too long, and the tire went flat. Really flat, off the rims flat. No problem, I think, I'll just air it up when I need it. So I am doing some yard work and decide it is time to air of the wheel barrow tire. I put the compressor on the valve, turn it on, and nothing happens. Only then do I realize it is a tubeless tire.

So....what's the point of a valve if there is no tube? How does one reseat the rims and get them to stick long enough to inflate with air?

Yeah, I know, I shouldn't have let it deflate. If no one has a solution, I guess it is off to the borg for a new tire.

Your suggestions on how to solve my problem are immensely appreciated.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Try wrapping a bungee cord around the tire tread tight enough to keep the tire bead in contact with the edge of the rim.

This happens to me every year (I know I need a new tire). You only have to get the tire to contact the rim for a second or two while the air is going in. Once it starts to build up a little pressure, that pressure will keep the tire bead in contact with the rim.

Martin, the tire can easily be remounted by wrapping a ratchet type tiedown strap around the circumference of the tire and tightening it until the tire starts to spread and seat on the rim. That is when you can hit it with the air and the tire should seat and inflate normally. I've done it numerous times myself and it has never failed me. My.02Cdn.

J.R.

You can also just use a piece of rope and a stick, hammer handle, etc. to make a tourniquet. Twist it up til the rim seals and add air.

The ratchet tiedown, if you have one handy, is a better method, though.

Martin, also take the core valve out-- it will allow more air in to help seat the tire bead.
    Jerry

Martin,
    My wheelbarrow tire, which is tubeless, has deflated twice on me in recent months. Both times, I put the air chuck on the valve and "slapped" the tire a few times until it "grabbed" the rim. I had to work at it for a while but I was persistent and I finally succeeded. I probably have a damaged rim, but it's a rusty old wheelbarrow that is near the end of its usefulness so I figure I'll use it till it falls apart and go buy another one.

You can also buy an inflatable band that wraps around the tread of the tire. It has a Schrader valve that inflates a rubber tube that forces the tire bead against the rim. Then you can inflate the tire the normal way to get the bead seated.
    Best Regards, Ken

There's always the instant inflation method...a quick spray of starting ether into the deflated tire...stand back...pitch a match at the edge of the rim and if all goes as planned the tire will not only seat with a loud pop, it will inflate to a good degree as well...but no responsible adult would ever do this, right?

J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ricci
    There's always the instant inflation method...a quick spray of starting ether into the deflated tire...stand back...pitch a match at the edge of the rim and if all goes as planned the tire will not only seat with a loud pop, it will inflate to a good degree as well...but no responsible adult would ever do this, right?

J.R.
    My son is a brick mason and that is standard procedure on construction sites.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by John Ricci

J.R.
    I was going to mention this time tested, and rather entertaining method..............but, with my luck, I would get a phone call from someone's attorney after the "boom".

(Von, I think they teach Mason's that in apprentice training.........that's where I learned it..........a bricklayer friend.....small world, huh?)

(Before I say anything; I'm sixteen years old)...THATS SOUNDS REALLY FUN!!!!!!! LOL
    -Ryan C.

Well, I fussed with it for at least an hour, using the "compression strap" method. I tried the "remove the valve core" trick, but then my compressor thingy wouldn't provide air--it has to be opened by the valve core itself.

What finally did it was slathering a large amount of vaseline on both sides of the tire (and some on the rim), along with the compression strap.

So the tire starts to inflate, putting pressure on the strap. I don't want to deflate the tire, to get the strap off, so I almost break my thumb messing with the strap mechanism to remove it when all of the sudden the tire pops to full size and the compression strap is released all at once. Bruised my thumb, lost some skin, but lived to fight another day.

Now the ether thing, is that for real? That sounds like my kind of solution! However, before I try to learn something that technical, I would need a demostration first. Any volunteers?

Next time I go buy a wheel barrow, I'll buy one with a tube in the tire. Also, when I first see it getting low, I'll fill it up before the beads unseal.

Thanks for all the help, everyone, I couldn't have done it without you!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, they do have inner tube type replacement wheels for most wheel barrow's. They also make a "filled" type of semi-solid wheel barrow tire/rim combination. They use some sort of lightweight, closed cell foam product that fills the tire. Flat proof, and mostly seen on contractor grade barrow's. Personally, I prefer the tubeless type, and I use a slime like product made for sealing such applications. I get the sealant at a local farm supply store. It works great, but no matter what, you need to check the air on occasion. All tires lose a bit of air over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Now the ether thing, is that for real? That sounds like my kind of solution! However, before I try to learn something that technical, I would need a demostration first. Any volunteers?
    Martin,
    Yes, for real.
    Some thoughtful folks already have demo'd it for your viewing pleasure on Youtube. search on "ether tire" you'll get several

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey
    (Before I say anything; I'm sixteen years old)...THATS SOUNDS REALLY FUN!!!!!!! LOL
    Ryan, fun but dangerous too. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just a game..."Find The Eye".

J.R.