Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: treated lumber for raised bed garden?

treated lumber for raised bed garden?

This is pretty off topic but there is such a knowledge base here that I hoped to get some opinions. I want to build a small raised bed garden, basicly 4 4'x6' beds, not so much for the produce (though we would be eating it) but so that my 2 yr old can have the experiance. I want to do the raised beds because it will look neater in my small back yard & hopefully I won't be doing as much weeding. I was going to use treated 2'x8's but am concerned about eating veggie's grown in contact w/ treated wood. I understand the new treatments are safer but how much safer? I don't have a source (south mississippi) for naturally resistant lumber so my options are limited.

So, if I go w/ "yellawood" will I be poisoning my family?

thanks,

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Just Saturday or local master gardener, on his radio show, was asked that.

He said not to use any treated lumber for produce to be eaten.

Think about the Trex or other plastic/wood material or just use cheap untreated wood and replace every 8-10 years.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have used that green treated stuff in my garden w/o problem. But you might want to go to the store and ask to read the MSDS sheet, at least I think that is close to what they are called. It's the govt required disclosure of of the hazards involved in a given product. Alternative wood would be redwood, cedar (like used for fences), possibly cypress. You might also look at the "TREX" type stuff, but I understand it is pricey.

Raised Bed Boxes

Greg,
    No cedar at the 'borgs in your neck of the USA? Naturally rot resistant and all that without the chemicals etc....

Just another option from one Greg to another...

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser
    I have used that green treated stuff in my garden w/o problem. But you might want to go to the store and ask to read the MSDS sheet, at least I think that is close to what they are called. It's the govt required disclosure of of the hazards involved in a given product. Alternative wood would be redwood, cedar (like used for fences), possibly cypress. You might also look at the "TREX" type stuff, but I understand it is pricey.
    MSDS is the correct set of letters Al. They stand for Material Safety Data Sheet. I would definitely NOT use any kind of pressure treated wood for lining a raised bed garden area.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Greg, If I remember correctly, I used cedar, or just some garden timbers sold at the local borg. Not treated, as others have said, I would not take any chances. I have noticed recently that composite "garden timbers" are available now. Rot resistant and you shouldn't have to worry about chemicals. Regards, Bill

Use "cap-block" type concrete blocks for lining the raised bed. Line the inside with black plastic for weed control and to help contain just the soil for your garden. To make the outside part of the concrete blocks look more "landscapy appealing"...line with small low growing flowers, or decorate as you see fit. Use rebar to help keep the blocks from moving during the gardening season. Just thought I'd toss out an idea or two.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Side note on MSDS

They are a wealth of information about the composition of a given finish.
    Such as what oil is in it (soya, linseed,tung )

Cedar or white oak works nice and there is no issue with having to read the MSDS...ours are cedar and have been in for 6 years. They aren't in "great" shape, but I suspect they will work for a few more years before they need replaced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Find a sawmill, get locust. you won't be replacing them in your lifetime. Theres locust posts here on cousins farm that are over 80 years old and still strong

Besides most of the green lumber in the borg isn't rated for ground contact.

Thanks everybody, that's pretty much what I'd thought. It's really not easy to find much of anything besides pine down here right now, we're still largely in post Katrina mode -- my favorite lumber yard was on back bay, I think there's a slab there still. So it goes. What are your thoughts on using treated lumber for a play set (swings, slide, treehouse . . ) that's another project slated for this summer.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

12. Treated lumber - even the old copper & lead arsenate stuff - isn't harmful and won't be systemically available to plantlife. The molecules are too big to be taken up by plants, and the leachate is too insiginificant.

From what I understand you needed to eat the freshly teated boards top get any toxis effect Now however the yuppies and soccer moms have successfully raised a hue and cry about lead and the treaters have eliminated that from the PT treatment.

Next it'll be the brass castings we have for water faucetts. Yes they want them to be made from a different alloy.

Cliff, you are right. We find things to worry about. When I am not gardening, working withwood, investing, I go fishing. My Dan Baily catalog, where the flies are shown, notes that the state of Calif. has found something there to be a cancer causing agent. I still scratch what hair I have left about how a fishing fly can cause cancer -- maybe if you eat enough of them?

Flies

Al I am guessing the process of preserving the fur etc is what is harmful in "flies".
    I tied alot of flies when I was living in New England and was always slightly amazed by the squirrel tails and other odd ball part n pieces of animals attached to the hair-fur-feathers.
    Back on track, PT lumber is all but harmless unless you eat it shortly after the pressure treating or breathe the dust....

Greg

greg stanford--

PM sent.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro