Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you inflate a tubeless tire?

For sealant, I bought a big bottle of green Slime (brand name) at Harbor Freight - WalMart has it, too. I have it in my wheelbarrow, rototiller, pressure washer, and garden trailer tires, as well as in my hand truck tires. Some have tubes, but most are tubeless.

I haven't had one go flat in a couple years, now.

I have a frien d who works in a gas astation and was filling a wheelbarrow tire, off the wheelbarrow, with a large compressor and just before the tire got hard the wheel split (rusty old wheel made from 2 dishes welded together as they all are) and one half peeled about 4" round piece of his forehead back. He was able to get the scalp flap sewn back down but still retains a U shaped scar from that event.

I would avoid the starting fluid idea except on 1 pc aluminum car wheels or at least put a cavas over it to save you from getting hit by the big pieces.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Martin,
    Last time (make that 2 times) that this happened to me, I actually pulled out a Bessey strap clap (took the plastic corners out) and tightened down on the middle of the tire. This made contact and allowed me to inflate the tire. Just another reason/excuse to but more clamps (in case I break one repairing a flat tire).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Martin,
    My wheelbarrow tire, which is tubeless, has deflated twice on me in recent months. Both times, I put the air chuck on the valve and "slapped" the tire a few times until it "grabbed" the rim. I had to work at it for a while but I was persistent and I finally succeeded. I probably have a damaged rim, but it's a rusty old wheelbarrow that is near the end of its usefulness so I figure I'll use it till it falls apart and go buy another one.

Gee....Mark......A hospital chaplain slapping a deflated tire into submission? .........Note to self.....don't ...I repeat don't incur the rath of Mark!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Gee....Mark......A hospital chaplain slapping a deflated tire into submission? .........Note to self.....don't ...I repeat don't incur the rath of Mark!
    Didn't General Patton get in trouble for something similar?
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Ken, you should see the hole I punched in a cardboard box when I stabbed it with a gouge after a nasty catch last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by John Ricci
    There's always the instant inflation method...a quick spray of starting ether into the deflated tire...stand back...pitch a match at the edge of the rim and if all goes as planned the tire will not only seat with a loud pop, it will inflate to a good degree as well...but no responsible adult would ever do this, right?

J.R.
    Please post video

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe

Next time I go buy a wheel barrow, I'll buy one with a tube in the tire. Also, when I first see it getting low, I'll fill it up before the beads unseal.

Thanks for all the help, everyone, I couldn't have done it without you!
    No need to do that, just go buy a Slime Tube -- it's a tube w/self-sealing material in it. Pop out the valve, put tube inside the tire and put the valve out thru the hole. You won't have any more problems.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I've heard of this technique used on large construction equipment even, like loader tires. many times these things are out in the field with no ready access to tools and such. A little gas and a match, you're in business! I think the trick to learn EXACTLY how much gas is needed!

All of these methods usually work pretty good, but to make it go a little easier, use a little dish soap to lube the bead and rim. We used to do the ether method for years on tractor trailer tires. We used a clip on type tire chuck with a 10 ft hose on it, then to a squeeze type valve for safety, and ran a line of ether a couple of feet away from the tire. It was always an exciting job when it came to tires.

Dave

Hello,

(Before I say anything; I'm sixteen years old)...THATS SOUNDS REALLY FUN!!!!!!! LOL
    LOL! (I'm 55 years old)
    SURE DOES SOUND LIKE FUN!!

Martin,
    My tractor tires go flat on a regular basis. Somtimes right in the middle of cutting the yard .

What really works well is air - lot's and lot's and lot's of air.
    I use on of those clip on inflators and jiggle the tire around while the air is pouring in. It just seems to all of a sudden catch and start to inflate.

To help prevent this go to Napa (only place i know that stocks it) and get some bead seal. It is black sticky stuff that helps form the seal between the tire and the rim. Also use some soapy water to make sure you are not losing air through the valve stem. Around here the solid tire are about $50. Also turn the wheelbarrow upside down or stand it up to take the weight off of the tire and even if it loses air it has a better chance to stay on the bead.

Eithering tire may be illeagls in your state please check local regulations.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

If you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself , you can.......

Take the tire to a local tire fixit place,they'll squirt some sealent in the tire then use a tank of compressed air that comes out all at once instead of a little at a time using the air hose and air chuck. The tank has a valve on it that when you open the valve all air thats in the tank comes out all at once. But then again taking the tire to someone else wouldn't be as fun or as interesting as the whole ether,match thing.
    sincerely,
    Jim at
    Clark Customs

Good idea about the strap clamp.

I've had good luck replacing and inflating mine in the past, but the last tire from China, just would not seat. I tired rope, belts, nylon tie downs etc. Then I bought an inner tube, put it in and never looked back.

Ether works good and so does hairspray.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.