Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you inflate a tubeless tire?

If you try the ether method, be very sure where BOTH hands are when you ignite it. While working motorcycle shop, I have seen more than one novice damage a portion of their hands. Band clamp or inflation collar are really the only safe ways to do this. The same person who would not use a table saw without the safety of a splitter now recommends a very questionable method of installing a tire. Should shop safety be a full time affair?

I know, you think I am a sissy. Forty years in the shops and I still have all ten.

Toss the wheel...

And get a solid wheel. Cost a bit more, but you don't have to deal with it anymore. Got mine from the Orange BORG two years ago, and haven't had a problem since.

Seems a bit more sensible to me than trying to blow one's self up with ether and a lighter...then again, I'm not sixteen anymore

Cheers,
    Jesse

Hey, watch those sixteen year old jokes!! LOL just kidding hehe
    -Ryan C.

I had no idea you all would have so much to say about my plea for help.

Thanks again,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

From some years back now

Back when I was a pump jockey, and tubeless tires were becoming the standard (just becoming: we saw a lot of tube-type tires, which may give you some idea of my age [see below for answer]), we had several tricks:

a) We had an inflatable tube, as Ken Garlock mentioned, that wrapped around the center of the tread and pushed the bead up to the rim (didn't work on some of the low-profile hotrod tires). Any of the methods suggested by others (rope, ratchet strap, bungee cord) will work as well.

b) we used tire lubricant, which is basically a non-corrosive detergent, to lube the bead and the rim. Next time you do this, I'd suggest kitchen detergent in water, or even just water, over vaseline.

c) we'd bounce particularly recalcitrant tires on the ground to get the bead established on the rim, and we'd sometimes inflate the tires upright rather than on their sides because the bead would sometimes seat better that way.

d) we'd be DARNED sure to keep our fingers out of the rim/bead area. You can lose a fingertip if it gets caught in the bead seating suddenly on the rim.

For those with insufficient information to figure out age from information provided, the answer is "58," and I pumped gas from 1965 to 1969. Back then, "pump jockey" meant a real job, with a range of skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey
    Hey, watch those sixteen year old jokes!! LOL just kidding hehe
    You're a hoot Ryan.!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Eithering tire may be illeagls in your state please check local regulations.
    Actually its against DOT regs to do that to semi tires as of 8 or 9 years ago. The ether that trapped in the tire actually degrades the rubber over time, plus the shock of the explosion stresses the tire.

For you creative types with a bit of time on your hands. Find you local semi truck junk yard and get an air tank off of a truck, one about 12 inches long. Get two 1.5 to 2 inch pipe nipples and a ball cock valve.
    Cut a hole in the side of the tank and weld on one of the nipples.
    Attach your ball cock valve.
    Attach the other nipple
    Flatten out the end of the nipple so its oval shaped.
    Weld a piece of 1/4 inch square stock on the top side of the flat spot
    Put a Schrader valve in one of the factory ports and plug all the others.
    Close the ball cock valve and fill the tank with air
    Put the nipple against the rim clip on an air hose to the tire valve, flip open the ball cock valve.
    The sudden inrush of air will blow the sides out against the rim and your fingers are back out of the way safe and sound. We built one of theses years ago and if you use it once it's worth the effort
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martin,
    I use rubber cement and a length of webbing strapping to set the tire on the rim. I also swear by slime, right now I have 3 quarts and a gallon in the shop. It works lke a charm on all tires, tractor, 4 wheeler etc. I have also gone solid on wheelbarrows. sure saves my temper.
    Ed

I live in Prattville, Al, the preferred Community
    Dont you think that it would be easier to have a tube installed in the tire?? You wouldn't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Gauthier
    Dont you think that it would be easier to have a tube installed in the tire?? You wouldn't have that problem.
    Wayne, you are quite correct, and I am wondering why the people who make these things don't just install one at the factory. Oh, I remember, it's the money!

My thumb is still healing, next time I'll go buy a tube.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I had a similar problem with my riding grass mower and finally got tubes installed, now life is back to normal. Proven old technology.

I just saw tubes preloaded with Slime tonight at the hardware.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery