Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Clock Finished

Shaker Clock Finished

The Shaker wall clock I previously posted about was finished and hung this weekend...well, it's done except for the glass in the top since the dude at the 'Depot didin't cut it accurately. A new piece was procured tonight and it will go in tomorrow. This design is the NYW version featured by Norm many years ago--it's also in his Shaker projects book which I worked from this time around. This clock is made from black walnut off our property and has a birdseye maple panel in the lower door. That lower door provides access to where we will be hanging our car keys, etc., as the piece is convenient to our entry door.

The finish is BLO followed by blond de-waxed shellac rubbed out with a white synthetic pad and paste wax. I really like the clarity that shellac affords to a project and have started using it more and more.

Lessons learned from this project...pay more attention to "square" so less "adjustment" is required along the way. Further, build the clock to fit the clock face, rather than make adaptations...I used the Shaker clock face kit from Lee Valley for this one and it's a little undersized. I like Chris Becksvoort's recommendation to start with the clock face and build from there and the next versions will be done that way, no matter where the innards are sourced.

Shown below are the clock both closed and open as well as what it looks like on the wall. I really do recommend this project type for anyone wanting an enjoyable and useful item from their shop. It's good for your home as well as for a special gift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

The bird's eye did the trick. Really nice contrast and great job on the constuction. I hear ya on the "square" deal. That's why I got the edge sander.

Congrats on a great project!!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Nice Job Jim ! ! ! ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Jim, excellent piece, and as others have said, the birdseye really pops. Excellent contrast.

Be well,

Doc

Looks good Jim! Square? Isn't that something that only exists in a perfect world? I keep telling myself that everytime something isn't.

Bob

clock

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Shaker wall clock I previously posted about was finished and hung this weekend...well, it's done except for the glass in the top since the dude at the 'Depot didin't cut it accurately. A new piece was procured tonight and it will go in tomorrow. This design is the NYW version featured by Norm many years ago--it's also in his Shaker projects book which I worked from this time around. This clock is made from black walnut off our property and has a birdseye maple panel in the lower door. That lower door provides access to where we will be hanging our car keys, etc., as the piece is convenient to our entry door.

The finish is BLO followed by blond de-waxed shellac rubbed out with a white synthetic pad and paste wax. I really like the clarity that shellac affords to a project and have started using it more and more.

Lessons learned from this project...pay more attention to "square" so less "adjustment" is required along the way. Further, build the clock to fit the clock face, rather than make adaptations...I used the Shaker clock face kit from Lee Valley for this one and it's a little undersized. I like Chris Becksvoort's recommendation to start with the clock face and build from there and the next versions will be done that way, no matter where the innards are sourced.

Shown below are the clock both closed and open as well as what it looks like on the wall. I really do recommend this project type for anyone wanting an enjoyable and useful item from their shop. It's good for your home as well as for a special gift.
    Jim,
    Very nice and great finish. Walnut from your own property...that is something I can only dream about....I have a few citrus trees, I guess thats not the same thing. Nice job and it is great to see your work.
    Mark

I was wrong...

I said I thought flame walnut would look better in the door, but the birdseye maple really works better.

Wonderful job, as usual.

This project is on my list, but it is a long list, and I am the world's slowest woodworker.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Great looking work as usual. Thanks for posting the pictures.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Looks good Jim! Square? Isn't that something that only exists in a perfect world? I keep telling myself that everytime something isn't.

Bob
    Well Bob.....you hit the nail on the head with that one..!!!! I was just "fussing" about something not being square just this weekend.

Mr. Becker.....you did really good there. An excellent style and an absolutely WONDERFUL finish on the clock..!!!! LOML would NEVER let me have something like that in my shop.....she'd nab it and put it in the house.....just like she did with the wooden sanding block that Lasley made for me. Shoot...Bob even had to make me another one and write on it for shop use only, not for display.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Nice job Jim! Keep those projects coming! Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    LOML would NEVER let me have something like that in my shop.....she'd nab it and put it in the house.....
    Yup...that's why it's in the kitchen!

Thumbs up

Jim, that turned out beautiful! As terry said, the contrast between the black walnut and the birds eye maple really sets the piece off.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

David Blangger Guest
    Great job Jim! Love the birdseye and almost anything Shaker

Fine looking Time Piece Jim! A perfect example of "Simple Elegance". The Shaker Style has always been a favorite of mine, and it is no wonder to me why it had stood the test of time. Great Choice of Wood for this project. I agree with the others...............the Birdseye really sets off the appearance. Great finish, and it must be such a satisfaction to use wood that once stood on your property. Thanks for sharing the pictures Jim....................REALLY nice stuff!

Looks great

Jim,

Clock looks great!! And I bet it adds a very nice accent to your already very nice kitchen.

How long did you season the walnut? I know you told me when I was there, but I do not recall. I have a few trees on my stead that I want to harvest (one big walnut, mulberry, maple and a lot of black locust). Did you use the 1 year / inch theory?

Thanks, and again, looks great!!

-dan