Thread: Completed Display Case

Completed Display Case

Well, despite some last minute worries, I managed to get this golf ball display case completed and delivered today. I made it for a co-worker who wanted to surprise her husband for Christmas....working on a deadline is a killer!

Solid Mahogany case with figured mahogany panels in the frame and panel back. Handcut dovetails and finished with four coats of Maloof oil/poly mix.

all-in-all I was very pleased with how it turned out. This was a very challenging project and I was sweating bullets this morning while installing the catches and the glass...I could see dropping a hammer on the glass! :bigeek: but I managed not to wreck it There are a couple of things aesthetically I would change if I do it again, but I learned a lot and think she was happy with it! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eric Sanford; 12-22-2003 at 6:56 PM.

Very nice! I am glad you told me that it was for golf balls because looking at it, I thought it was much larger!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-22-2003 at 7:01 PM.

Wow! That's a wonderful project and the figured mahogany really stands out. That's a nice design idea since the ball collection will never hide the cabinetry.

Happy Holidays!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful work. I also especially like the back panel. I have a few questions, as I am currently designing one for my own collection. What are the overall dimensions? How did you make the depressions for the balls? In the stores they are dished out, but it seems that a Forstner bit would work. May I copy your back panel? It sure would look better the the felt covered back I had planned.

Outstanding work Eric! Very nice display cabinet. I like everything about it, and the photos are very nice. Very nice wood selection and finish also. I love the joinery..............very classy work. Thanks for sharing your fine work with us! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the kind words! It was fun and challenging. Making something for someone else puts a whole new spin on wwing since it is just a hobby for me.

Mark, the ball depressions were made with a plunge router and 3/8" cove bit using a jig that held the router fixed over the center line. I just slid each shelf through it and aligned my reference marks, plunged and was done. Feel free to copy anything and if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Eric

Very nice indeed! Could you comment on the figured mah. panels? Is it quilted mah.? Resawn? Veneered? Last time I saw some quilted mahogany, it was $49 a B.F. Large, wide boards, and so they were a fortune. I didn't bite, although it was close.
    Alan

Alan, they are quilted mahogany I picked up at Woodcraft. They had several small pre-cut panels roughly 7-1/4"x 20" x 3/32". When I decided to use these, it dictated the size of the case to a certain degree.

Mark, the case is rougly 20"x24"x4" although the panel (3/8"thick) sits in a groove in the case at 3-1/8" from the front with the shelves centered in the sides and not connected to the back panel. I constructed two mortises in the sides to hold the top half of a 1/2" french cleat for mounting.

Fantastic

Great Job Eric,

I like the looks of the finish on this one. You said it was Maloof Oil / Poly Mix. What concentration would I use 1:1 or what? I usually just poly things and would like to expand my skills a bit.

Great joinery too! Maybe someday with enough practice I too will be able to such nuce work.