Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip: Hearne Hardwoods

Wow, I'd like to be let loose in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney mitchell
    Wow, I'd like to be let loose in that place.
    Be even more fun to run loose in that place with Jim's credit card and not mine.
    Don

nice pile of lumber. cherry crotch ... I have tried several times to dry it , only to be disappointed. best wishes in the search

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    cherry crotch ... I have tried several times to dry it , only to be disappointed. best wishes in the search
    Yes, that was the issue. The boule we looked at out in the sawmill building had some of the very nice feathering I wanted, but aside from having to buy from the outside in to the slices I wanted, there was too much cracking. Rick Hearne indicated that cherry was tough just due to the way the crotches are so inconsistant. Walnut crotch is a dream to dry in comparison and I would have opted for it but for it being darker than I wanted for this project. I also looked at some nice mahogany and bubinga crotch and could have made that work, too...but at $25 a foot and having to buy into the boule as described above, it just wasn't going to happen. So...the vanity door panels will be some nice QS English Sycamore (I cut and book-matched the stock today) and I'll use the one crotch I was able to score for a smaller cabinet elsewhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice!!!!

Jim,
    Next time you go let me know. That ambrosia maple is to dye for. Nice haul!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Malen
    That ambrosia maple is to dye for.
    Pick you color...
    --

Darn,

I thought I edited that
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    I don't want to hijack Jim's thread, but I have heard it called all of those things. The people at Hearne's (and my local mill, which I rarely buy from) call it Ghost or Wormy Maple. I learned about the "Ambrosia Maple" name here a while back. That does seem to be the more common name.

It's gorgeous stuff. My wife and I both love it.

Did your future daughter-in-law like the chest?

Pete
    Yeah, she was surprised and did like it. Surprised because my son really hasn't spent that much time (read that none) in the shop, so was no expected to be giving something like that.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I spent some time picking through the QS stock and found about 50 bd ft that would work for me. And then I fell in love. No, not with a beautiful maiden, but with a beautiful slab of English Brown Oak. Yes, the "I -don't-normally-do-oak" author of this post just had to have that piece of wood. Gorgeous stuff. (Rick said that the interesting brown color comes from a mushroom that grows around the trees and eventually kills them) And then, of course, I needed another piece to use for other structure for what I think will be a sofa table or some sort. Let's just consider this a speculative buy...and here I am speculating about what the number will be on my AMEX card once the dude measuring things up is done writing.
    I typically don't care much for Oak, but that piece you have there is very nice. I've never played with English Brown Oak; does it work like domestic oaks?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    I typically don't care much for Oak, but that piece you have there is very nice. I've never played with English Brown Oak; does it work like domestic oaks?
    I don't know how it works, Pete. It's pretty coarse grained, but the color is outstanding. I believe it's a "white oak", but could be wrong about that. No matter...I bought it 'cause it just really caught my eye and it was easy to envision "the project". Not inexpensive, however. The 4/4 is $12 per and the 8/4 is $15 per.
    --

I have worked Eng. brown oak. It is a bit chippy, but beautiful. Some burls are not uncommon. Pretty expensive wood, but great color and grain.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

That's a nice haul of wood Jim. I sure wish we had a place like Hearne near Los Angeles. I guess that's the price we have to pay for living somewhere with good weather most of the time.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, we have good weather here all the time, too. The only difference is that sometimes it's good for "me", sometimes it's good for frogs, sometimes it's good for people who repair heating systems and sometimes...well, you know what I mean...
    --

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Thanks for the road trip Jim, I'm still drooling.

By the way my wife and and two of my daughters were in Pittsburg over the weekend were they anywhere near you or Hearne on their way there Via the turnpike from Ohio. If they were they could have dropped me off

Darn Jim

I bet I drove right by while you were there. I had to go down to the bay to help my Dad take the cover off his boat & put the canvas top on. Drove right past Hearnes at about 8 AM & on the way back at around Noon. If I'd of known I would have stopped in to help you spend some of your money

I don't go to Hearnes very often, even though they're 20 minutes from my house, because I love my Wife & would hate to have her divorce me over the AMEX bill when I finished shopping at the candy store. One time I was there & they had a bunch of $100 BF stuff in the showroom - YIKES! I haven't been there since they installed that giant sawmill. Is it up & running?
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 04-02-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP