Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandblasted Sign

Sandblasted Sign

I just got back from installing this. It's sandblasted cedar, 18" high x 6' wide and " deep. Way too big for the laser. Had to rush out and get it in befoe the rain came back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe, what is the base material? Cedar? Redwood? or other.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Joe:

Nice work!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton
    Joe, what is the base material? Cedar? Redwood? or other.
    The face (sign) is clear cedar, 2x8s glued with biscuits. The "box" is fairly clear construction grade cedar 2x6, the back is 1/2" MDO. Painted inside and out and caulked. The lettering is painted with 1-shot metallic gold with some primrose yellow added to lighten it up.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Joe-Good work!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Man!...that looks good!

I'm really stupid when it comes to sandblasting...never done it and probably won't ever, but how do you get that wood grain effect? Your sign really looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing!
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Very nice job Joe. I take it you cut the lettering out and stuck it on before blasting then painted and finally removed the masking? Brought the grain out well and very interesting effect.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks for the nice comments all.

The rubber stencil is cut on the plotter, weeded and applied to the wood. he grain is from shooting the sand straight ahead, the softer wood blasts away and the harder grain stays for that effect. If it was shot at a vertical angle there would be less grain. Then I peel the rubber off, sand the edges, border and letters with several different grits, fill any voids, sand again and prime.

Then I paint everthing with two coats of the brown, sand just the letters again back down to the primer, and paint the gold. Where any of the gold drips I have to touch up the brown. With drying time it took over a week to paint.

Sammamish, WA

What did you charge for that sign? I curious since you spent almost a week to paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Klafehn
    What did you charge for that sign? I curious since you spent almost a week to paint it.
    It took almost a week but then the actual time painting was not that bad, 15 minutes to an hour a couple of times a day. Most of it was drying time.

I got $1,850 installed.

Sammamish, WA

Joe,

Thanks for the pics of your sign, its a beauty.

Joe, don't be surprised if I bug the fire out of you as I get my legs about me on the boards - This type of signage is one I'm very interested in getting into, but when I say I'm a newbie, I mean I'm REALLY a newbie - I may be asking (begging?) to pick your brain a bit, as well as the other artisans here...

That looks awesome - Thanks for sharing!
    Best regards,

Evan

Gene O. Carpenter Guest
    Hi Joe,
    Another nu-bie ;<) with a ? !! What size compressor did you use for this fantastic piece of signmanship?

Gene,

I only have a 50 gallon compressor, so I only do the small ones myself. This one I sent out to a friend in the eastern part of the state that has a compressor with a tank as big as a small room. His hose is 2" and nozzle looks like the ones on a fire hose. He's been doing signs and rocks for 20 years out of a shop at his home. I send him the cut stencil, he applies it to the wood, blast it and ships to me for sanding and paint.

Sammamish, WA

WOW !!! I am impressed too.

I ordered my vinyl cutter this week. What thickness did you use for your mask? I am still learning what I can do sand blasting wood.

Thanks,

AL