Thread: table saw splitters?

table saw splitters?

I am about ready to get a splitter for my Powermatic 66. Merlin-Ecaliber makes one and Biesmeyer makes another. The prices are between $99 or the Merlin and $129 for the Beasmeyer. Can anyone help me decide which to get? Or know of a better model or price?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Mark - My vote would be the Biesemeyer. I would ask a question first. Do you plan on using a blade guard? If you do and you select the Biesemeyer, you will need to use an overarm guard. The Excaliber (I believe) can use a standard blade guard. Also, if you have, or plan to have, an outfeed table, the Biesemeyer works a lot better. It won't interfere with the outfeed table the way the Merlin will.

Just my 2 cents.

Waymon...

Mark,

I've looked at both, but also like the Biesemeyer better. I have one in my PM 66. The Merlin is nice, I just like the Biesemeyer better.

John

Bies here

Mark, following up on the above--

I have the Biesemeyer spreader on my PM66 and like it. One thing I did have to give up on was using the Brett guard--some folks do use both together, but only after modifying the Brett to resolve a conflict with the spreader. The idea of partially defeating the Brett's blade coverage bothered me, so I went with the Bies overarm guard and have been satisfied with it, too.

There have been some recent posts here on SMC about a potentially hazardous conflict between the Bies spreader and a fully-raised sawblade--you might want to review those as well. It wasn't clear to me whether the conflict there arose because the saw had been fitted with the wrong model spreader or not.

Safe woodworking to all, and to all a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Waymon Campbell
    Mark - My vote would be the Biesemeyer. I would ask a question first. Do you plan on using a blade guard? If you do and you select the Biesemeyer, you will need to use an overarm guard. The Excaliber (I believe) can use a standard blade guard. Also, if you have, or plan to have, an outfeed table, the Biesemeyer works a lot better. It won't interfere with the outfeed table the way the Merlin will.

Just my 2 cents.

Waymon...

Thanks,
    I will get the Biesmeyer. I don't you a guard. I use Board Buddies and sometimes a featherboard. I have been using it for years that way and no problems! Tage Frid shows the splitter in his book and I know it helps if the board has internal stress. Real short pieces I rip on the band saw.
    I appreciate your insight,
    Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Thanks,
    I will get the Biesmeyer. I don't you a guard. I use Board Buddies and sometimes a featherboard. I have been using it for years that way and no problems! Tage Frid shows the splitter in his book and I know it helps if the board has internal stress. Real short pieces I rip on the band saw.
    I appreciate your insight,
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark,

Does the spreader need to be easily removable? You could always use a hardwood splitter sanded nice and thin and glued into the blade plate. I am sure you could make it removable, too.

Chris