Thread: buying rough lumber

Question buying rough lumber

Having never bought lumber in the rough, I have a couple of questions. Will the staff at the yards be helpful with picking out decent stuff or just leave me to my own devises? I know that's not really their job, but do they at times? I've read alot of what to look at/for, but theres nothing like the real thing. Is anyone local who wouldn't mind a trip to the lumber yard lunch included? Thinking of going to hearns in PA

Mike

If you are going to Hearnes...I don't believe you could loose. Mr. Jim Becker has been there and I've heard many who praise them on price and quality.

Oh yea....I usually like to pick my own lumber. Just starting out for me was just touch and go for the 1st couple of trips, but now....I know how to pick it better.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The folks at Hearne will help you out to a certain extent, but the final decision will be yours. If you explain that you are new to buying "in the rough", they will undoubtedly give you an extra hand. And that's good, 'cause you'll be DROOLING at the selection...LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At our "local" rough lumber yard they will move pallets so that you can get at the wood but then you're pretty much on your own. I'd take a friend, a couple of pairs of gloves, and a plane or scraper so you can try to find the real grain under the rough stuff. Whether anyone offers to help or not really depends on how busy they are -- and helping means helping move the lumber off and back on to the pile, not making choices for you. They'll also cut the longer pieces so that you can get them in your vehicle. On the good side, they really don't care how long you take or how much lumber you move off the pile, as long as you put it back neatly so that they can just restack the pallet.

Actually, being able to pick your own lumber is a distinct advantage over places that just sling whatever's on top of the pile. As you get more experience in rough lumber you'll like choosing your own. When I got to my usual place I search through to find lumber that's flat, straight and doesn't have waned edges. And widths that best accomodate the pieces I'll cut from them.