Thread: Jig for pencil post bed

Jig for pencil post bed

I'm planning to make a pencil post bed with octagonal posts exactly like this one:

http://www.thomasmoser.com/product.d...product_id=214

Anyone got a favorite jig design for these posts? I want the cross section throughout the taper to be an octagon with equal sides.

Pete

Re: Jig for Pencil Post Bed

Pete,

I recently built a Queen-size pencil-post bed for my daughter out of hard-maple using a basic plan from this book - Beds, by Jeff Miller from Taunton Press.

http://www.amazon.com/Beds-Jeff-Mill...5618546&sr=1-1

This is an excellent resource for building Beds in general - Lots of overall design tips and things to keep in mind.

On Pages 52-72 the author has detailed plans for an octagonal pencil-post bed, like the Thomas Moser Bed. He shows you a couple of different ways to taper the posts and shows you how to build the tapering jig for the legs. The book has lots of color pictures and detailed illustrations.

I have built 3 or 4 different beds and I use this book every time as a reference.

Feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions.

Good Luck

Nate

Hi Pete,

I have built a similar bed, and I just cut tapers on two sides using a band saw (clean up with belt sander), and chamfered all four corners with a router. Simple approach, great results.

Good luck. This is a cool project.

Paul

If memory serves me , there was recently an article in FWW about doing just what you are looking for. It may be by the same guy Nate mentioned. I can't remember which issue, but let me know if you want me to go digging.

Barry

There is a very recent FWW issue with a pencil post bed built by Lonnie Bird. I dont recall the exact month, but its been within the past 6 issues I'd say.
    Good luck, that projects a bit ambitious for me!

Norm did a pencil post bed a few years back. He used a BIG jig for the table saw. Perhaps the video or plans would have the info you need.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?206
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Oh, I'm expecting it to be a BIG jig. I don't have a TS so it has to be some combination of BS and router. I have a big Delta 20" saw from the 1940s though so that shouldn't be a problem.

The chamfer bit sounds good, but I think it would get dicey at the thin end of the taper unless it was in some kind of a box jig.

Pete

Pete,

PM sent

Barry

Years ago there was an article published in Fine Woodworking by Christian Becksvoort detailing the construction of that exact bed.

If you go to his website, www.chbecksvoort.com, you can see the one in question.

I'm sure that that particular article has been reprinted in one of Taunton's books about beds, or a "Fine Working on" book.

FWIW, Christians technique involves tapering on the jointer and using a router table with a small jig.

It's all pretty straightforward. I've built that bed twice. Once for wifey and I and again for my daughter.

Good luck.