Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 20% off Coupon to Home Depot

I tried to use the coupon tonight and my local store said "NO. It doesn't have a barcode and our management says it must have a barcode".

I had a cart full of tools. I appealed.

They asked if I still wanted to by the items.

I said no. Not without a discount and walked out.

Looks Like I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr
    I tried to use the coupon tonight and my local store said "NO. It doesn't have a barcode and our management says it must have a barcode".

I had a cart full of tools. I appealed.

They asked if I still wanted to by the items.

I said no. Not without a discount and walked out.

Looks Like I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.
    Well if the coupon was a fake they will most likely be glad you go to Lowe’s .I got a charge out of one of the other post that said “profit margin is way above 20%” I work in retail and if you make 20 to 30% margin you are considered GOD! Tools have a very low profit margin except the low end junk stuff. (Go figure)
    The place I work we stopped taking internet coupons just because of this type of thing. Anyone can make a coupon on their computer. Yes! You can take it into a store and think. “If they accept it, no problem” But there is a law called Theft by deception.
    A 20% off coupon on one item I could believe but on a whole cart load of tools? Come on. Just stop and think about it.

Bruce,
    Why I said same ole was that I did complain once and got a similar $10 gift certificate and a note saying they were sorry. Similarly, many at the two ww clubs i belong to have done the same, but apparently, the complaints stop at first level with an appeasment gift certificate. management never hears of it and It is beyond them to put on a pair of Caharts and visit stores posing as a customer to see it from our side. apparently, it is cheaper to sacriface a store vs time of a $12M CEO to resolve the local problem.

Not only does the store hurt but so do the tool and hardware manufactures. The bad taste sends consumers to internet sales.

By the way both of my coupons had bar codes but the cashiers at this store are told not to scan any coupons without checking with the front end manager.

This is your conscience speaking

Guys, if it's fraud, you can't be upset that they won't take it. At the very least, this coupon was pointed out as being very "iffy" from early on. The case wasn't quite made from the start, so you can't really say anything much about the folks who tried it at the beginning, but there's little doubt now that the coupon was not meant for the general population.

These coupons (and other things) cost a real company real money. Making a value judgement based on the size of the company "they won't miss 20%" or trying to justify it by convincing yourself that you've been screwed by them before is just plain wrong.

A few months back, I shopped at a site and noticed that they had several expensive tools marked as $1.00. I knew it had to be a mistake, but for grins, I put it in my cart and checked out anyway.

Needless to say, the price was not honored. I also didn't expect it to be, and didn't complain or push the issue. In fact, I purchased several other things for the normal prices. Going back, I likely shouldn't have even tried the $1.00 thing, but I couldn't resist

Next we'll have people complaining that they didn't take the $100 bill someone printed up on their color printer. Time to get past it folks. By now, everyone knows it's fraudulent. If you're still planning on using it, you are knowingly participating in a theft. It may not feel the same as putting something in your pocket and sneaking out of the store, but it's the same thing. The store being big and unlikeable doesn't make it right.

It would negatively affect my enjoyment of a tool if I knew I got it through something like this - no matter how much money was saved.

Pete

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

If something seems to good to be true, it probably is to good to be true.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not buy from the big boxes. Not honoring a suspicious coupon isn't one of them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    Guys, if it's fraud, you can't be upset that they won't take it. At the very least, this coupon was pointed out as being very "iffy" from early on. The case wasn't quite made from the start, so you can't really say anything much about the folks who tried it at the beginning, but there's little doubt now that the coupon was not meant for the general population.

These coupons (and other things) cost a real company real money. Making a value judgement based on the size of the company "they won't miss 20%" or trying to justify it by convincing yourself that you've been screwed by them before is just plain wrong.

A few months back, I shopped at a site and noticed that they had several expensive tools marked as $1.00. I knew it had to be a mistake, but for grins, I put it in my cart and checked out anyway.

Needless to say, the price was not honored. I also didn't expect it to be, and didn't complain or push the issue. In fact, I purchased several other things for the normal prices. Going back, I likely shouldn't have even tried the $1.00 thing, but I couldn't resist

Next we'll have people complaining that they didn't take the $100 bill someone printed up on their color printer. Time to get past it folks. By now, everyone knows it's fraudulent. If you're still planning on using it, you are knowingly participating in a theft. It may not feel the same as putting something in your pocket and sneaking out of the store, but it's the same thing. The store being big and unlikeable doesn't make it right.

It would negatively affect my enjoyment of a tool if I knew I got it through something like this - no matter how much money was saved.

Pete
    I can't agree more. Jim

fraud on who's part

There appears to be two different arguments here. My arguement is HD sends me advertizing via email with coupons to get me in the store. I get weekly flyers in the paper from them to get me in the store. Sending me email coupons and not honoring them is FRAUD!! Routinely pulling items off the shelf that are advertized in the flyer is FRAUD. Both occur routinely at the local store and the manager states it is HIS discretion to do so.

Blog Entries
    Those of you having problems at HD that don't have a Lowe's right nearby should really let HD Corp know. Otherwise you're stuck with the knuckleheads that are running the store poorly. My HD and my Lowe's took the coupons without a problem.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-07-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mine didn't work.

Asked at customer service counter and was told yes, not by a manager though. Had a guy put a jointer on the flat cart. They called a manager at checkout due to no bar code. Manager politely told me they had had two or three of the coupons come in last few days. They were originally intended to be used by employees only, they got theirs after a Christmas party. She explained now they are floating around on the net and being copied. (As she was heading out to customer service to have a chat with the counter guy). I did not purchase but hardly see the refusal as a grounds for complaint.
    Larry

Slightly off topic but hopefully enlightning to a few

I've been very, very busy lately and have barely had a chance to check in. My response has nothing to do about the righteousness of using a coupon or not and which store do or don't take it.

I do know alot about mark-up percentages on power tools and believe me when I say this. It even blew me away. I worked in a homecenter and questioned my manager one day on much profit the store makes a DeWalt cordless drill. The drill was a 14.4 volt and the store at that time sold it for $221 and the store paid $209. A $12 profit. I then started looking up and writing down every item that I could for nothing but curiousity sake. The profit is made my Black & Decker, not the homecenter. Even the profit made by B & D is not as high as one would think. Money is made off volume, plain and simple. Sell alot and make alot or the product goes nowhere and evidently gets pulled due to taking up shelf space and not producing a profit.

Another case, the Makita Slider 10 inch slider that's been around for 8 plus years. Lowes and Home Depot had a war on that item a few years back and it was quite a wild ride. Lowes dropped $1 less than Home Depot. Then of course HD has to match or someone can come in and they have to meet Lowe's price and then take off another 10%. They went back and forth and then finally HD clearanced the item which protects them from having to match and take off 10%. About 2 years later, it was back on the shelves at Home Depot and another item was targeted.

My point is my friend at Home Depot looked it up for me and at Home Depot's last match price before clearancing it was $593. Home Depot was paying $595 for the item from Makita. They were losing $2 if they sold it at that price. That $2 doesn't include the logistics of getting the item to the store either. Lowes was then free to "up the price" and you can figure out the rest for yourself. There's alot of "dirty pool" that goes on between those 2 big homecenters that would really blow people away.

But, they don't make nearly what most people think on power tools. Those are called the "get them in the store" items. Even though I had worked at Builder's Square, it's irrelevant. Same principal, different store name.

This has nothing to do with who does or doesn't take an internet coupon or not, and what is legitimate and what is not. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a good discussion. If you can get a discount, good for you. If you can't, pretend like it never exsisted and move on. That's my take on it anyways.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I had no luck today with the coupon at 3 of the area BORGs. SE WI stores, the one on Good Hope Rd even had a bulletin telling the cashiers that these coupons are no good.

12. Warning

I tried to use it last might and they would not accept it. FOr one it does not have a bar code on it. Secondly it only specifies a few specific stores and states. The HD manager also stated HD does not give out 20% discounts ten is the max. Not sure if this is for real but where I live in colorado they would not accept it. However I still got a great deal on a dewalt 18V xrp drill and 18V impact driver for $235 total they sell for more than that seperatel fir each one. The deal is good for not much longer.

Peter

I just looked on the TechBargain website that had the coupon, and it is no longer there. That pretty much tells me it was a bogus deal. I'd be curious how the website received this information to put it out. If HD didn't authorize it, I'd think they'd be asking the same thing.
    I'll not use it, although I may ask about it and if they had any feedback about how the site got it up in the first place. Jim.

edit: I just emailed Tech Bargain the following:
    There has been a 20% off coupon for Home Depot on your site recently, but I notice it is no longer being listed. Several poeople on a woodworking forum I frequent have used it, others tried but it was denied. My question is how do you get the information to list a coupon if it doesn't come from the store themselves? If it is submitted to you, is there any verification that it is an actual offer before you list it? I would think that this would be standard practice for you knowing that if you list something that is not real, that it could come back to haunt your reputation. Any information you can shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Jim

I'll let you know if I get any response. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 04-09-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

worked for me

I used the coupon today at Lowe's for a Delta AP400 dust collector. I went directly to the service center and showed the coupon They called the manager over to look at the coupon and he gave me the ok. This was in the Appleton WI area. Just thought I would share in my mini-gloat. I know that these dust collectors aren't that great for big users, but for me in the basement for my tools will be good for now. It comes with 2, 5 micron bags so that is better than the 30 micron bags that it used to come with.

Copied the one off Joseph Shields' info and used it yesterday at HD. Bought an 8' ladder and the cordless 15 volt Dirt Devil (sucks great, by the way) and saved $26. Thanks Joe!