Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 20% off Coupon to Home Depot

I noticed the TS3650 is on sale at Home Depot for $499. I figured if they would accept the coupon it would be a no brainer. I called the store and talked to a guy in hardware and told him I had an Internet coupon and asked if they would accept it. Sure, he said, bring it on in. I drove up there and when I showed it to them (another guy) he said it was a fraud because it didn't have a barcode. Also, they said only employees get 20% off and customers get 10% max. I felt bad because the guy looked at me like I was trying to pull something.... like I fabricated the coupon myself. I explained where I got it and explained there were post of others using it successfully but he didn't buy it. I didn't buy the saw.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Sorry you wasted the trip. My dad tried one HD that said no-way due to no bar code. He then tried another that didn't even bat an eye. I also used the coupon successfully (we live in different areas).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't use it...

Hello All-

Thought I'd add my 2 cents... I saw this coupon early on in this posting, so I printed it out and took it into our local HD. I asked if they would honor it, and the guy checked with his manager and he said yes.

Well, we needed to buy a new stove, so this 20% off would save me quite a chunk of change. Anyways, last night, we bought the stove. Saved almost $300.00 because of it.

Anyways, when we were checking out, another manager came up and said that the coupon was a scam. However, because the first manager signed it saying it was ok, they would honor it.

I haven't been able to read this newsgroup lately due to lots of travel on my part, but saw there were 5 pages of "info" about how the coupon isn't valid/is valid, etc.

Needless to say, I don't think it's a valid coupon and I feel bad that I got the stove at such a good price. I also have worked in the retail business (hobby shop) and know that the big items aren't what keep you in business. Whenever we sold an RC car or plane, the buyer usually said, "Well, you guys made a bunch off this sale..." Actually, we were lucky if we made $10-20 on markup. It was the little things like comic books where we made the most profit.

So, even though there are only a few days left on the coupon, I don't recommend using it... The guilt factor is bugging me. I feel like I should go back in and pay the difference...

Brad

Like I said before each HD store is run independently. I belong(ed!) to thier garden club and other email. I get coupons routinely from them via email. One recently for 10%( not the 20% everyone else is using here) and a buy one get one free shrub which must be downloaded on copy paper. The local store will not honor these down loaded coupons as as the manager states anyone can make copies and it is his decision not to honor them. So any one who get ANY coupon honored feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Tallis View Post

So, even though there are only a few days left on the coupon, I don't recommend using it... The guilt factor is bugging me. I feel like I should go back in and pay the difference...

Brad

If you give the three bills back, I would'nt mention it here

It definitely is a scam. My HD said that the entire company is changing registers so when you enter coupon you must scan a bar code. Keep in mind this was from a seasoned employee and not the manager himself. I didn't get the discount or the saw but at least I know for sure now. I don't think the people who used it are bad folks or should feel guilty about anything as the store could have said no.

I Think the fact is the coupon has been proven to be a scam. Anyone who uses it is guilty. The fact the store decides to honor it does not make it right. They are just trying to provide good customer service based on bad information. Things like this are why we get hassled so much for ligament issues we may have with a given store. If we expect not to get ripped off ourselves we should not feel free to do the same to anyone. Even if it is a store. Fact is someone will have to answer to giving a 20% discount down the line. If it is true a memo was sent out to all stores that such a coupon was not to be taken .it is a real possibility that someone will lose their job over it.

Just my 0.02 worth

If the store accepts it that is their fault, not the customers. Everything is life is negotiable, that includes coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jensen View Post
    If the store accepts it that is their fault, not the customers. Everything is life is negotiable, that includes coupons.
    I've kept out of the ethics of this whole affair, but I've got to say that what you are suggesting isn't much different from swapping a price tag and trying to get them to sell something to you cheaper.

Agree....Because everyone here now knows it's not a "real" coupon it's like down loading a 100 dollar bill from the internet and getting mad when the store doesn't take it?
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 04-24-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I've kept out of the ethics of this whole affair, but I've got to say that what you are suggesting isn't much different from swapping a price tag and trying to get them to sell something to you cheaper.
    In my case, it wasn't accepted and at the time I thought it was legiitimate. I was up front and honest about where the coupon came from. If they had accepted it why is that wrong?

If someone switches a price tag, that is deceptive and is the same as stealing. If you are honest about where the coupon came from and they accept it, how is that different than simply asking for a better price?

I just don't see how being honest and up front can be compared to switching prices tags in a decpetive manner. I think you may have misunderstood my statement.
    Last edited by Steve Jensen; 04-24-2007 at 8:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Agree....Because everyone here now knows it's not a "real" coupon it's like down loading a 100 dollar bill from the internet and getting mad when the store doesn't take it?
    I wasn't upset they didn't take it. I merely posted my experience here like others. Speaking of downloading money off the Internet, I used a 10% off coupon Circuity City emailed to me, which I printed, to save $300 dollars on a plasma TV. So yes, I downloaded 3 $100 bils.

I can't believe this post is still alive. Just think of yourself as a Home Depot employee and you are taking advantage of an employee discount. Nearly all the times you go into Home Depot you help yourself. You have to strugle to get things after looking for a half hour for someone who works there and when you find one they know absolutely nothing about what you want. Then you take your item up to the fast checkout lane where you ring the price up and put it in the bag and walk out the store. So where was the help. Do not feel bad. Each Home Depot has the right to not accept it and just walk away.
    John T.

I wonder if it's a hoax??

I used it at the Home Depot today, but not without some suspicious looks from the cashier. He asked me where I got it. I don't think he believed it was real because there was no bar code to swipe.

Could these be fake?

JW

Quote Originally Posted by joseph j shields View Post
    Attention thrifty shopper....

Here is a link to 20% off coupon to Home Cheapo!

http://circleyellowpages.com/hdcoupon.pdf

FYI... I just used this at Lowes (they will honor any HD coupons!) Got a nice infrared grill for 20% off!!

Enjoy the saving!!!

-jj

Hmmm...I don't think that has occurred to anyone in this thread yet. Ya think?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I used it at the Home Depot today, but not without some suspicious looks from the cashier. He asked me where I got it. I don't think he believed it was real because there was no bar code to swipe.

Could these be fake?

JW