Thread: Cremation Urn plans

Cremation Urn plans

I would like to get some help on plans for a cremation urn.

My dad passed away this morning after a long illness. It would help me to be able to build this for him, but I don't want to put in any tiime searching out plans. If you have any experience or could direct me to a download plan, that's great. I have done a lot of other kinds of boxes in the last year, but I don't know if there are any special considerations I haven't thought about.

Thanks everybody.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know I've seen one somewhere. I'll take a quick look on Google and report back my results.

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

These are a few downloadable (non-free) plans; http://www.mhp-urns.com/urn_plans.php
    These are the sizing specifications for an urn; http://www.mhp-urns.com/urn_plans.php .
    That’s really about all I found. Sorry, someone else is bound to chime in.
    -Ryan C.

Brian, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your wish to make this urn is very special and thoughtful.

I found one site which offers wooden boxes, and here's the written description with sizes:

"The one of a kind Gift memory box and cremation urn, shown in stunning Walnut Hardwood, is an inimitable way to memorialize your loved one.

The upper area of the Gift contains a beautifully lined memory box. This can be used as a place to keep jewelry, or any other mementos. The lower area contains a section that is a cremation urn.
    The Gift memory box and cremation urn is beautifully lined on the interior of the memory box and the cremation urn, as we believe that the remains of your loved one should rest in the most comfortable place possible. The gift is available in Walnut as shown, Oak, Cherry, Purpleheart, and Maple.
    Size 8-7/8"w x 14-1/2"l x 7-1/4"h"

Don't know if this will help you, but it's a start.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Thank you. I'll probably download this one: http://www.mhp-urns.com/items.php/re...slow_plan.html.

I'll make the sides out of curly maple. The lid should be from a rosewood. He was a professional drummer and marimba player and his drum set was maple, with marimba bars made from honduran rosewood.

Brian,
    My thoughts go out to you and your family.
    I don't know if it'll help, but there is a rule of thumb to allow 1 cubic inch per pound of the person, for adequate sizing of the urn.

Making his urn will honor your father well.

Ken

Brian, sorry to hear of your loss. And I think it's wonderful that you're going to build the urn. If you also turn, you might consider that medium, too. I believe Bill Grumbine has done this and I've seen a number of beautiful turned urns "out there".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all your help already. I'll be traveling for the next day and will read your advice when I arrive.

Brian,

I am sorry for your loss
    Take care,
    Jim

My condolences, Brian. I built an urn for my sister-in-law's remains last month. Coincidentally, I had enough cherry left over from building a cradle for her grandniece born that same month. The family thought it was fitting.

When I researched it, one person had said he'd designed his sized to fit the container his relative's ashes came in. That's what I did for Colleen. It was similar to these:
    http://www.urnsnw.com/hardwood-crema...mation-urn.htm
    The container fit with just a little room to spare and it was easy to remove the container later, remove some ashes for scattering and put the container back.

The ones in that photo, the tops are an integral part of the box and don't come off; the bottoms are fastened with screws. I did Colleen's the same way.

I didn't have much time and it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped but it was done for the funeral and the family was very happy with it. I routed out an oval on the top and her sister glued in Colleen's favorite crucifix.

When I downloaded a set of plans, the fixed top and bottom held in place with screws was the biggest surprise. The funeral home gave me one of the cardboard containers so I could size it to hold that box.

Brian, I think it's most common for urns that the bottom is the entry point.
    --

Finished Urn for Gerald Kent

I finished polishing the urn this morning. Thank you for your input, everybody. I used one of the plans that Ryan recommended. I changed the height so we could adapt its use. Until July it will be used only as a cremation urn for the ashes. Then my family will scatter the ashes and removed the liner / bag that held the ashes. It will become a memorial box for him. I made it taller so we could put in a couple of his oil-painting brushes, some marimba mallets, some cards that we are writing, and whatever else we can think of.

Hopefully it will be a fascinating connection for his grand-children's grand-children.

The top is book-matched cocobolo and the sides are curley maple.

Again - Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Absolutely beautiful, Brian...truly a wonderful memorial.
    --

Awesome wood choice!! I love cocobolo!
    -Ryan C.