Thread: Tiny Gloat

Tiny Gloat

Ok, so I got caught gloating with no pics in another thread about saving $20 on my lastest purchase. I picked up this nice little Rigid VS laminate trimmer at HD using the posted 20% off coupon. Should come in handy as I have 150+ sq ft of laminate to cut up into narrow strips and re-edge a bunch of countertop. I've used my PC 690 in the past which was to bulky for this type of job. I chose this one over the other big names because it is variable speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That should come in real handy Ryan. There are many times I wish that I had a small trimmer like that to handle faceframes and such. Congrats.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Trimmer gloat

I love mine - bought last year. it runs very smooth. I build country crafts, and use is as my standard handheld with a round over bit.

Had a Ryobi trimmer for years - bearings finally went. The Rigid is worth it even without the 20%.

I paid full price for mine and feel it was worth every penny. Has plenty of power for its size and the relatively narrow body gives it a real nice feel compared to most others in it's class IMHO.

I've had one for about 18 months and use it all the time. It's light and has more than enough power to use for most edge treatments. The slickest use I've found is to use it for cleaning the bottom of dado cuts which, even with a topline set, leaves little ears in the bottom corners of the cut.

I use a Freud 1/2" mortising bit with a 1/2" bearing, and set the depth of my dado to about 1/32" less than the final depth. I then set the router bit to the final depth and run it down both sides of the dado. Absolutely flat bottom and square corners! It probably adds 30 seconds per dado, but for through dados shere the edge of the joint will show it makes a difference in the final appearance.