Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Edge Bowl and Wood ID Help

Natural Edge Bowl and Wood ID Help

I'm not sure what type of wood this is. It has a very strong odor, almost fruity, when cut. Anyway, it's about 3" tall and 5" in diameter and finished with danish oil.

I've also attached a picture of the bark from a cutoff of the same log if it's any help with the ID.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks like Black Cherry to me Don. I don't see any tell tale pitch pockets in the bowl, but that is not unusual. Bark sure looks like it too. Nice natural edge bowl too! (If that "fruity" aroma you mention smells like a jar of Maraschino cherries, then cherry it is. (Most other fruit woods, such as apple, peach, and pear don't exhibit any "fruity" smell in the wood. Cherry sure does though, especially when green.)
    Last edited by Leo Pashea; 04-06-2007 at 9:06 PM.

I think it is cherry. I did this one today also. Could you send me a piece of bark?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Ha, funny you mention that Pete, because if you look at the bark picture you'll see where I snatched a few pieces to repair that one.

I've got plenty here if you really need it.

Nice looking bowl.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

I'll be contrary...based on the bark, I don't believe it's cherry. Seeing what the leaves look like would make a big difference in identification ease...but I suspect that would be hard right now!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought when I first saw it it is black cherry -- can't tell by bark though or leaves so I can't help there! Whatever the wood is it is a beautiful bowl and a fine turning! Great job!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

I was going to guess Black Cherry. Whatever Don that is a nice looking bowl. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

9. If that ain't Black Cherry then grits ain't groceries...

NE Bowl Blank & ID

I am leaning maybe more towards Black Birch, young Black Birch trees often look like Black Cherry. Birches also have a certain smell as most woods do, but the scent of Black Birch to me seems to be more noticable then what Black Cherry would be. It is either Black Cherry or Black Birch. Any how it is great looking bowl. I'll try to grab up a section of young Black Birch and Black Cherry and take pics of the bark side of the two some you can see they look some what alike in apperance by bark.
    Great job, keep up the good work. You all enjoy your weekend, family and this Easter

Bill
    "Better to turn it than burn it." Please use reclaimed or salvaged material.
    Penn's Woods

Cherry, though I'm leaning toward P pennsylvanica rather than P serotina. Depending on your recent weather, you might have noticed an almond fragrance when you were turning. That's the hydrocyanic acid in the underbark and sapwood fermenting. When that process starts, the sapwood is generally no longer bright white, though with P pennsylvanica it's usually thin and a bit closer to heartwood color.

Birch smells like wintergreen, but the cherry birch here has much rougher bark than the Prunus species.

I'm a believer in CA treatment for the bark. Once you have your contour established on the outside, spread the thin stuff to get in and around the flakes on the surface and down into the cambium. Not only will it minimize flake-off, it will be an asset after you do it from the finished inside as well, because people can touch it without breaking off the bark.

Spfffft. If it isn't a cactus, I wouldn't have a clue . Darned desert!

I will tell you that is one great looking NE, Don .
    Be Blessed

George

Don

Is the color in the picture a good representation? I would venture a guess that you have Plum.

Terry

Don, I have no idea what kind of wood you have but just wanted to jump in and say that I really like the bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Don what ever kind of wood it is, it is a great piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf