Thread: My Laguna experience

Cool My Laguna experience

Some of you folks may have heard that I recently purchased an LT16 from Laguna. What follows is my general experience with that purchase.
    (Note: Parts of the following dialogue are copied from a thread I posted on the Laguna forum.)

Space and respect of your valuable time, I won't get into *all* the details, but I'll try to sum it all up. Got the saw, albeit, short of the mobility kit, which I found out was on B/O. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, plus saved me quite a few $$. At any rate, after setting up the unit, I noted some severe vibration. I thought I had gone by the manual in the setup, but something wasn't right. The next morning, I tried contacting Laguna's Tech Support. They were all busy at the time, but I did receive a call-back later in the day and their man, Jason, gave me instructions on what to check for. Back in the shop, I did as he instructed and saw a significant improvement, though it still wasn't 100%. I figured I could "tweak" the rest of it out later, as I had a couple other projects in the works at the time.

Well, later attempts at resolving the vibration issue proved futile. The vibration appears to be pretty high frequency. I'm no engineer, but to me, that indicates motor or bearings. Some smaller diameter part is what I figured it to be. At any rate, back on the phone to Laguna. Yesterday afternoon, I spent literally several hours doing this, that and the other thing as instructed by Jeff, another one of their Techs. Although I again saw a slight improvement, it just wasn't quite there. I even pulled the motor and ran it by itself. I thought it ran pretty smooth, but that was w/o any load on it. I was especially concerned, because I had read where other Laguna owners could literally get their units to pass the infamous "nickel test". Mine could too, if only I used some CA glue on the nickel! I kept making adjustments and gathering information, while Jeff would call back with more information and collect what findings I had. The last time I spoke to him, he said he'd call back once more. I putzed with the unit until pretty late, never receiving the call-back.

After not receiving a final call-back yesterday, I figured I'd try right away when they opened today. No need. I got a call first thing this morning from the Tech I had been working with. He apologized and admitted that he had simply got caught up with numerous other issues and it slipped his mind. OK, well now what? I explained to him my thoughts of it possibly still being a motor issue, due to the higher frequency type of vibration. We compared some notes and he said he'd call me back with more info.

Well, after about two hours, I had almost given up. I figured that maybe he brain-farted it again. I could not be more wrong! As it happens, I didn't get a call from him, but from Don, the Laguna Customer Service Manager. He extended his sincerest apologies for the troubles I'm having and said the Laguna is absolutely, positively committed to providing the best product and service available. I thought, "Yeah, so are we going to try a new motor or what?" Again, I was wrong. Well yes, I will be getting a new motor. But this one will come with just a few more pieces, as in, a whole new unit!!! Furthermore, Don said he will personally pull a unit, set it up and make sure all is as it should be prior to having it shipped out to me! Holy $#!T! He feels that I've gone above and beyond what it should take to get a unit running properly and now it's his turn to do the same.

I know some of you might be saying that it's the *least* they can do, but I beg to differ. Yes, I paid a lot of $$ for what is supposed to be a quality unit, but that's not what I initially received. Sadly, today this happens more often than it should. Still, there a few vendors who will go to such extremes to make it right. I bought Laguna for the quality, but also expected good Customer Service. With a LOT of real happy Laguna users out there, I still think I made the right decision for the equipment. With the level of CS I have received, I have little doubt in my mind that my decision on both ends of my pre-requisites will have proved positive! Yeah, I still wish the unit would've been good to go right out of the crate, but this isn't a perfect world we live in and things happen. It's good to know that there are companies out there like Laguna who are willing to take care of their customers when things do go bad. My hat's off to Laguna! As they may expect, they've not only gained a customer, but an advocate, as well! Merry Christmas to all! As of this morning, mine will certainly be a bit merrier!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great news on your saw. The only unfortunate part of this is that you have to wait before you can play...er work with your saw. Good for Laguna and their CS. Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harsha
    Great news on your saw. The only unfortunate part of this is that you have to wait before you can play...er work with your saw. Good for Laguna and their CS. Happy Holidays.
    Right your are, Jim. Almost! You see, the vibration persists. Yes, it's annoying. BUT, the saw is still useable and Don from Laguna gave me his blessings to continue using it if I felt it would do the job. No, I won't be doing anything "delicate" on it, nor do my current projects involve anything which would tax it too much, either. Some limited resawing and maybe a few bowl blanks is about it. I'm not even going to mount up the Resaw King until the replacement unit arrives. I will, however, *have* to wear hearing protection with just about any function on it for now. That's OK too, as one should be doing that anyway. Hey, and a very Merry Christmas to and yours!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Laguna Bandsaws

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Some of you folks may have heard that I recently purchased an LT16 from Laguna. What follows is my general experience with that purchase.
    (Note: Parts of the following dialogue are copied from a thread I posted on the Laguna forum.)

Space and respect of your valuable time, I won't get into *all* the details, but I'll try to sum it all up. Got the saw, albeit, short of the mobility kit, which I found out was on B/O. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, plus saved me quite a few $$. At any rate, after setting up the unit, I noted some severe vibration. I thought I had gone by the manual in the setup, but something wasn't right. The next morning, I tried contacting Laguna's Tech Support. They were all busy at the time, but I did receive a call-back later in the day and their man, Jason, gave me instructions on what to check for. Back in the shop, I did as he instructed and saw a significant improvement, though it still wasn't 100%. I figured I could "tweak" the rest of it out later, as I had a couple other projects in the works at the time.

Well, later attempts at resolving the vibration issue proved futile. The vibration appears to be pretty high frequency. I'm no engineer, but to me, that indicates motor or bearings. Some smaller diameter part is what I figured it to be. At any rate, back on the phone to Laguna. Yesterday afternoon, I spent literally several hours doing this, that and the other thing as instructed by Jeff, another one of their Techs. Although I again saw a slight improvement, it just wasn't quite there. I even pulled the motor and ran it by itself. I thought it ran pretty smooth, but that was w/o any load on it. I was especially concerned, because I had read where other Laguna owners could literally get their units to pass the infamous "nickel test". Mine could too, if only I used some CA glue on the nickel! I kept making adjustments and gathering information, while Jeff would call back with more information and collect what findings I had. The last time I spoke to him, he said he'd call back once more. I putzed with the unit until pretty late, never receiving the call-back.

After not receiving a final call-back yesterday, I figured I'd try right away when they opened today. No need. I got a call first thing this morning from the Tech I had been working with. He apologized and admitted that he had simply got caught up with numerous other issues and it slipped his mind. OK, well now what? I explained to him my thoughts of it possibly still being a motor issue, due to the higher frequency type of vibration. We compared some notes and he said he'd call me back with more info.

Well, after about two hours, I had almost given up. I figured that maybe he brain-farted it again. I could not be more wrong! As it happens, I didn't get a call from him, but from Don, the Laguna Customer Service Manager. He extended his sincerest apologies for the troubles I'm having and said the Laguna is absolutely, positively committed to providing the best product and service available. I thought, "Yeah, so are we going to try a new motor or what?" Again, I was wrong. Well yes, I will be getting a new motor. But this one will come with just a few more pieces, as in, a whole new unit!!! Furthermore, Don said he will personally pull a unit, set it up and make sure all is as it should be prior to having it shipped out to me! Holy $#!T! He feels that I've gone above and beyond what it should take to get a unit running properly and now it's his turn to do the same.

I know some of you might be saying that it's the *least* they can do, but I beg to differ. Yes, I paid a lot of $$ for what is supposed to be a quality unit, but that's not what I initially received. Sadly, today this happens more often than it should. Still, there a few vendors who will go to such extremes to make it right. I bought Laguna for the quality, but also expected good Customer Service. With a LOT of real happy Laguna users out there, I still think I made the right decision for the equipment. With the level of CS I have received, I have little doubt in my mind that my decision on both ends of my pre-requisites will have proved positive! Yeah, I still wish the unit would've been good to go right out of the crate, but this isn't a perfect world we live in and things happen. It's good to know that there are companies out there like Laguna who are willing to take care of their customers when things do go bad. My hat's off to Laguna! As they may expect, they've not only gained a customer, but an advocate, as well! Merry Christmas to all! As of this morning, mine will certainly be a bit merrier!

John,
    Laguna is a very honorable company. Torben, the owner, is an old friend of mine and he stands behind things. I bought a LT 16 about 10 years ago...kept it for 6 months and they still took it back! The product is somewhat inconsistent still. It is not easy to tilt the table or change blades. The beam distance from the upper to the lower guides is still too long to provide good blade support for thinner blades. I now run 2 bandsaws a Jet 14" (for scrolling)and the Agazanni 20" with the Lenox variable pitch blade. This works great for resawing and ripping. They don't advertise much but the products are available from Jesse @ Eagle Tools. Mark Duginske and sam Maloof and the Ferrari Auto factory in Modena , Italy swear by it.... you almost can't tell its running. one lever changes the table angle...no wrenches required. It is the best! I have owned 5 bandsaws over` the years. Here is the link:
    http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzani.html

It is nice to know that tere are honest companies!
    Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    It is not easy to tilt the table or change blades.
    Thanks for the comments, Mark. But, with all due respect, I personally don't agree with the above statement. Granted, I haven't lived with the unit for too long a time yet, but I've found the blade changing to be quite easy. Much easier than my Jet 14". Yeah, the guides are kind of funky to adjust, but I think that will come with time, when I have a better feel for the unit. Plus, I note that in the Laguna manual picture, they're using a US "c-note" to adjust the blade clearance! I can't afford that, so I'm hoping a good old George Washington will suffice! And tilting the table is almost identical to that of the Jet. Two knurled knobs underneath and a scale up front. I haven't had the need, as of yet, but it looks like simplicity in its rarest form. I just can't hardly wait to get my mitts on one that is free of the vibration and the noise caused by it. As with all my woodworking, there's a lesson to be learned here, as well. It would be called "patience".

Have a GREAT Holiday!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    John,
    Laguna is a very honorable company. Torben, the owner, is an old friend of mine and he stands behind things. I bought a LT 16 about 10 years ago...kept it for 6 months and they still took it back! The product is somewhat inconsistent still. It is not easy to tilt the table or change blades. The beam distance from the upper to the lower guides is still too long to provide good blade support for thinner blades. I now run 2 bandsaws a Jet 14" (for scrolling)and the Agazanni 20" with the Lenox variable pitch blade. This works great for resawing and ripping. They don't advertise much but the products are available from Jesse @ Eagle Tools. Mark Duginske and sam Maloof and the Ferrari Auto factory in Modena , Italy swear by it.... you almost can't tell its running. one lever changes the table angle...no wrenches required. It is the best! I have owned 5 bandsaws over` the years. Here is the link:
    http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzani.html

It is nice to know that tere are honest companies!
    Regards,
    Mark
    Mark,

The Agazzani sure looks nice but even the 16" is pretty darn expensive for the hobbyist! I hope to one day swing the cost of the exact model John just picked up from Laguna. If Agazzani is the King for the professional, I'd like to think that Launa might be the King for the Hobbyist?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Mark,

The Agazzani sure looks nice but even the 16" is pretty darn expensive for the hobbyist! I hope to one day swing the cost of the exact model John just picked up from Laguna. If Agazzani is the King for the professional, I'd like to think that Launa might be the King for the Hobbyist?

Chris
    Chris,
    I think the prices are very similar. jesse @ Eagle tools will negotiate. I hate to tell someone that is buying something that another model is better, but I think here at SMC we try to not let our other members repeat mistakes that we have made. I thought there may have been an opportunity for a refund. I have owned both machines used both for a long time and there is no comparison. It seems obvious ,the original thread was about excess vibration. That is a common problem with bandsaws. Jet has already redesigned their 18" and sent me a brand new model because of vibration. I sold that model on EBay without even taking delivery on it. Instead I ordered the Agazanni. Now I have a machine I will never have to replace. I called Mark Duginske("Bandsaw Book " "Mastering Woodworking machines" and inventer of "Fasttrack" )on the phone and I asked him to compare MiniMax, Laguna and Agazanni and his sugesstion was the Agazzani.I didn't stop there, I went to see Sam Maloof at his studio and we also discussed bandsaws as he was leaning against his Agazanni (he has 2 of them).
    He recommended it as well. James Krenov has one as well. When it is running there is no vibration...NONE!. I owned a Laguna Lt16 and returned it. I really don't think there is a difference in price for a particular size and if you call Eagle there may be a discount. I have a nice and finally feel after many years that each piece`of equipment is excellent....it took me a long time and a lot of money to get there and if I can help my friends @ SMC learn from my experience I feel like I did something good. The ideal situation is to have 1 saw for resawing and ripping and a second for curves , scrolling etc. The Jet or Delta 14" is perfect for that with cool blocks and a 1/8" blade and the Agazanni is the fine resaw machine with the Lenox variable pitch blade. You can call Mark Duginske @`Fastrack and ask him what he thinks... I don't know anybody that knows more about bandsaws!
    Merry Christmas

Woodworking FasTTraK, Inc.
    W5823 School Avenue
    Merrill, WI 54452

Phone: 715-536-7449
    Toll Free: 888-327-7725
    Fax : 715-536-7199

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Mark,

Chris
    Chris,
    I went to the Laguna and Eagle Tools websites to compare prices. The Laguna 16" Hd is $100 more than the Agazanni and in the 20" the Laguna is $200 more! Laguna does have a 16" LT model tahat is quite a bit less... but I think it doesn't really compare since they have another 16" model that is about $600 more? You get what you pay for.
    I would do a little more research and try to make a good investment.
    They are both good companies and stand behind their products.
    I hope I helped.
    Mark

Cool

Gentlemen, with all due respect, although I can appreciate the information on competitive brands, I'm afraid the spirit of this thread has been lost in the shuffle. I'm NOT here to *sell* Laguna Tools! I'm not here saying that the saw is better or worse than Brand-X, Y or Z. It was simply a dialog extolling the virtues of excellent Customer Service and a company which chose to provide it.

Is the Agi' or MM a better bandsaw? Beats the you-know-what outta' me! I guess if I were able to line all three up and use them to do the same job, I might have a better feel for it. If all three gave me some type of problem and I was able to experience what each vendor's CS was like, I'd have a better handle on who values their customers more. I'm sure if I were doing this full-time for a living, it would have bearing on my decision, as well. In comparing notes, opinions, features and costs, I made the choice I made for what I believe to be my current and future *needs*, as well as what I could comfortably afford for such a purchase. The Agazzani owner will, no doubt, tell you his/her machine is the best, just as the MM owner will tell you the same about their's. For some, it's "Found On Road Dead". For others, it's "First On Race Day".

So, for Chris and others contemplating the purchase of a BS or any other available Laguna tool, I just wanted to let you know that even though I experienced some bumps in the road, these guys have pulled out all the big equipment and are laying a fresh stretch of highway for me! Yes, logic tells me to reserve "final judgment" for when the replacement rig gets here, but for now, I'm satisfied that these folks are doing all that they can to deliver on the goods they promised.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Gentlemen, with all due respect, although I can appreciate the information on competitive brands, I'm afraid the spirit of this thread has been lost in the shuffle. I'm NOT here to *sell* Laguna Tools! I'm not here saying that the saw is better or worse than Brand-X, Y or Z. It was simply a dialog extolling the virtues of excellent Customer Service and a company which chose to provide it.

Is the Agi' or MM a better bandsaw? Beats the you-know-what outta' me! I guess if I were able to line all three up and use them to do the same job, I might have a better feel for it. If all three gave me some type of problem and I was able to experience what each vendor's CS was like, I'd have a better handle on who values their customers more. I'm sure if I were doing this full-time for a living, it would have bearing on my decision, as well. In comparing notes, opinions, features and costs, I made the choice I made for what I believe to be my current and future *needs*, as well as what I could comfortably afford for such a purchase. The Agazzani owner will, no doubt, tell you his/her machine is the best, just as the MM owner will tell you the same about their's. For some, it's "Found On Road Dead". For others, it's "First On Race Day".

So, for Chris and others contemplating the purchase of a BS or any other available Laguna tool, I just wanted to let you know that even though I experienced some bumps in the road, these guys have pulled out all the big equipment and are laying a fresh stretch of highway for me! Yes, logic tells me to reserve "final judgment" for when the replacement rig gets here, but for now, I'm satisfied that these folks are doing all that they can to deliver on the goods they promised.

John,
    You are 100% correct Laguna stands behind their products 100%. Torben and brother Benjamin are Great guys! Torben is a great crafstman and I know he will make it right for you. He was building furniture here in Laguna before he ever sold a saw... he really knows the business and he is in it for the long haul which is important.
    Thanks for your tips on the Gripper system.. that will be one of my next purchases.
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hey Mark...Just LOVE your signature line! Really makes a lot of sense and puts things into a very positive perspective. Something I'll have to keep in mind when I start on the drywall work....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

(Note: Parts of the following dialog are copied from a thread I posted on the Laguna forum.)

Glad to hear you were well taken care off. Competition is a good thing. I remember back before there were not so many euor saw manufactures fighting for market share here in the usa Laguna's reputation was a little different. DAMHIKT
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska