Thread: A Soldiers Night Before Christmas

A Soldiers Night Before Christmas

I read this today in our Local, small town Newspaper, and was touched by it. I had never read this before, and I wanted to share this. We should remember our young men and women in uniform giving their all so that we can celebrate this blessed holiday in peace. I was touched by this, I hope you are too.

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone
    in a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
    I had come down the chimney with presents to give
    and to see just who in this house did live.
    I looked all about a strange sight I did see,
    No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
    No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand,
    on the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
    With medals and badges, awards of all kind
    a sober thought came through my mind.
    For this house was different, so dark and dreary,
    I knew I had found the home of a Soldier,
    once I could see clearly.
    I heard stories about them, I had to see more
    so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.
    And there he lay sleeping silent alone,
    curled up on the floor in his one bedroom home.
    His face so gentle, his room in such disorder,
    not how I pictured a United States Soldier.
    Was this the hero of whom I'd just read?
    Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?
    His head was clean shaven, his weathered face tan,
    I soon understood this was more than a man.
    For I realized the families that I saw that night
    Owed their lives to these men who were willing to fight.
    Soon 'round the world, the children would play,
    And grownups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.
    They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year,
    because of soldiers like this one lying here.
    I couldn't help wonder how many lay alone
    on a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.
    Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye,
    I dropped to my knees and started to cry.
    The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,
    "Santa don't cry, this life is my choice;
    I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more,
    my life is my God, my Country, my Corps."
    With that he rolled over and drifted off into sleep,
    I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
    I watched him for hours, so silent and still,
    I noticed he shivered from the cold nights chill.
    So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,
    and I covered this Soldier from his toes to his head.
    And I put on his T-Shirt of gray and black,
    with an Eagle and an Army patch embroidered on back.
    And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,
    and for a shining moment, I was United States Army deep inside.
    I didn't want to leave him on that cold dark night,
    This guardian of honor so willing to fight.
    Then the Soldier rolled over, whispered with a voice so clean and pure,
    "Carry on Santa, it's Christmas Day, all is secure."
    One look at my watch, and I knew he was right,
    Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a good night!

Merry Christmas everyone, and please remember our Soldiers in your thoughts and prayers this Holiday Season.

Thanks for posting this Kevin. I have seen it before and someone always sends me a copy around this time of year. At first I was surprised that your local newspaper ran it but then I remembered how tight knit and patriotic a small mid-western town can be. I come from a small town in Iowa and know the strong values and social mores that a small rural community like that can have. I miss that and the only other place I have found it is being stationed overseas with my brothers in arms. Being active duty Army I have spent more holidays away from home than I care to remember.

Many thanks from this old soldier.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

The best thing we can do for today, Christmas Day, is to wish our service men and women a QUIET day while they are in Iraq and Afghanistan. While they are proud to be out there defending our liberties, they too need rest and a break from the stress of being in a combat zone. A quiet Christmas is almost certainly the thing they long for the most other than being home with their families.

I remember Christmas 1968 pulling perimeter watch in a bunker near DaNang and fervently hoping nothing would happen during the nite. It is not fun to spend Christmas far from home with a rifle in your hands and the possibility of combat never far away.

To my brother Marines both on active duty and retired, Semper Fi and a Merry Christmas.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Regardless of what anyone may think of war or those who initiate it, we must all remember that the men and women in uniform are our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, and would, without hesitation defend you and me with their lives. That is their basic pledge when they join the armed forces, and we should hold them in high regard and honor because of that. So, whether you agree with our presence in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places or not, at the very least remember those whose lives are on the line and pray for their safety and deliverance back to their loved ones.

Also, thanks to all the veterans of past wars as well--Dave Anderson (NH) and Ken Salisbury and I'm sure there are many others here as well. I'm sure your Christmasses on the line in a foreign country were no less than surreal, and never dreamed of as a little boy or girl opening presents on a cold, snowy Christmas morning. My heartfelt thanks to all of you!!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for everything.

Having spent 18 years in the Navy, I've been deployed (either at sea or in the field with the Marines) for 14 Christmas' (and yes, I could even tell you how many birthdays and anniversaries as well). I missed the birth of my first child who was already 3 months old by the time I got home. And my stories/experiences are not unique.

It's hard, even more so on the loved ones we leave behind to maintain the homefront. But it's a path we all chose, for whatever reason, and one I would never change. I am fortunate enough to be able to be home this season and spend time with my family.

My thoughts are never far though from my fellow service people who are still out there serving proudly in the name of freedom. God bless them and protect them all. Please keep them in your prayers (or your thoughts if your not religous).

The very best to all of you and your families. May the season be happy and bright for you and I wish you all a prosperous and healthy 2004.

Be well,

Doc

Great post Mike. I to have seen this many times, but after 17 years in the Army (and still serving) I never tire of seeing poems like this. Having been there, done that, i pray for there speedy return. Being away is always so hard, but the holidays always are a tad bit harder, especially in the dark of the night when it is only you and your thoughts.