Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Real Woodworking Project

First Real Woodworking Project

Well, after playing around for a couple months and having fun using most of my new tools for the first time, here is my router table. What they don't tell you about it is that it would be really nice to have a router table to use when constructing this one.

Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McCurdy
    What they don't tell you about it is that it would be really nice to have a router table to use when constructing this one.
    Well, you gotta start somewhere!

That tool will be instrumental in the creation of many more projects! (and tools too)
    Very nice
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Justin...........This isn't the Turners Forum.....You wouldn't be pulling our legs would you?.......First Real Woodworking Project? You wasted a lot of valuable time not getting involved in w/w before now! Very Well Done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I only wish my first project looked so good! Great job!

Inspiration

Great Job Justin!!
    I too am new to wordworking and seeing your pictures is motivation to complete my own router table...can I borrow your table to make mine???

Deke Kelly

Nice job, Justin! Great work. And this is a really versatile router table setup...it will get a lot of use I suspect!

Curious...did you do the dust collection port in the back of the cabinet at 4"? (I can't really tell from the pictures) If not, you may want to make the air holes in your door smaller and just have them across the bottom of the door to provide a "sweeping" airflow to clear dust and chips from the cabinet. Incoming air space should average the same or be slightly more than the size of your port on the cabinet. What you have will work, but try covering the upper holes with tape and see what the difference is in collection. Each and cheap test!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Router Table

Geeeeeee,wish I could have built something that good for my first project.I super size each pic, very nice.

Very nicely done Justin. Now you can use your first project help you make your second!

10. Very nice work.

The dust collection is 4". I have left the fence dc at 2.5" so that I could use the shop vac for over table collection and the dc for under table collection. It would have come out a bit better had I used a better gauge than my eye to square my table saw fence before I cut all of the plywood.

This is really my first project. I have built 2 decks and a playhouse, but all of that was done with a miter saw, circular saw, and a corded driver. I almost got through this one without the use of any dimensional lumber. Unfortunately I needed the extra support for a base to attach the wheels.

I am finally realizing why it takes you professionals so long to construct things. Every step of the way you see something that is not quite pefect and go to great lengths to make it so. I didn't go the extra mile on this project, just earmarked my mistakes for future reference.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Justin, very cool! That will come in handy in the years to come. Keep it up! Now, what's the first piece of furniture you're going to make with it?

Very nice work and a great looking router table. I am sure you will get lots of use from it!

Corey

nice work justin, glad to see you put that new table saw to work, and fast as well. The slider that i bought from you has been working great. Pleasure meeting you.

You're off to a great start. I need one of those myself.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps