Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: buyer's remorse:Jet 1642

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I hope everyone realizes that this thread is almost 3 years old....
    Will there be a birthday party on April 8? What's would be an appropriate gift?

Mike, what size of wood is avaliable to you??????

Mike,
    I too bought the Jet 1642-2 1.5 years ago. It is a great machine with one major (IMO) flaw. The 16 inch swing. My shop does not allow me to move the lathe to turn off the end. I violated my own rule of woodworking tools when I bought the Jet: No matter what you are doing now and what you anticipate your needs are, It is best to buy your best and last tool or machine FIRST, even if you have to stretch to afford it. If you are never going to turn anything larger than 14 inches in diameter (you have to allow for the height of the banjo), then the Jet will be fine for many years to come. If you can position the lathe so that you can turn off the end, then the Jet is more than adequate and will last you for many years to come. I have the 2 hp version and torque has never been a problem.
    Bob
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-03-2014 at 1:59 PM.

Apparently this thread needs to be "resurrected" every three or four years for some reason!

I might as well pile on...

I responded to this when I still had only a Jet mini 1014. I subsequently bought a Jet EVS 1642 (2HP), and have not regretted it- even though you guys pushed me off the edge with a killer deal from Toolnut; $1600 plus free shipping. It only took a couple years to pay off the wife...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I might as well pile on...

I responded to this when I still had only a Jet mini 1014. I subsequently bought a Jet EVS 1642 (2HP), and have not regretted it- even though you guys pushed me off the edge with a killer deal from Toolnut; $1600 plus free shipping. It only took a couple years to pay off the wife...
    More piling on. I also remember this thread, and in fact, this is one of the threads that helped make my decision to get my 1642-2, for a bit more than Jim paid. No regrets or remorse here. Cracks me up that it does pop up every few years.