Thread: Cypress for Adirondack Chairs

Cypress for Adirondack Chairs

Does anyone know of a sawmill or inexpensive source of Cypress in the Central Texas Area? If not, something in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma or Arkansas near the Texas border would also be OK. My wife wants a pair of Adirondack Chairs. I have a set of templates and would like to build a few extra.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Mike,

I got my cypress in Little Rock at Hogan Hardwoods. I built this char along with a few others exactly like this one from the Cypress a few years ago. They are all holding up to almost daily use after over 3 years of porch sitting. I'd recommend making the primary frame out of 8/4 Cypress and the rest from 4/4 Cypress. It holds up very well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I don't know about inexpensive but this place in Austin has Cypress... http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/013810.php
    Considering the price of gas, it may be cheaper than a suppier that is quite a distance away.

Woodfinder will also help you find sources up to 200 miles of your place.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I built this one with cypress bought on eBay at a decent price (and shipped to my door of course.) Don't remember the seller but think they were in Tenn. Has held up well (used by a friend outside, not as shown in their family room!)

Chair5.jpg

I also got mine at Hogans in Little Rock. Built a couple of Jake chairs for my (larger) friends and have cypress left over for a couple of regular chairs for ourselves when I get the time.

M & G Sawmill just outside Huntsville, TX. They usually have cypress and much much more. You'll not find any nicer people. Check their website.

Eddie

Locations

Thanks to all who replied. I was aware of Austin Fine Hardwoods and shop there all the time. They tend to be high retail, but only sell good product. I will definitely try the M&G Saw Mill in Huntsville. About 3 1/2 hours from me, but we have kids there and can combine the visit to Montgomery and the kids. Thanks again for the help.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Mike,

I'd recommend making the primary frame out of 8/4 Cypress and the rest from 4/4 Cypress. It holds up very well.
    Dennis, I may be selling a few of these and wonder if you think dimensioned 1X4 and 2X4 as recommended in some plans I have will work? If not, I do not want to put junk out there, so I will go with 4/4 and 8/4.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

8/4 is stout and obviously will hold up well. You do have to be careful that the particular design you use will work proportionally with that. 5/4 or 6/4 will give you a little more strength with a little lighter look if the design works better that way. I used 4/4 for my Adirondacks (NYW design) and they have held up for 8 years now. It's just now getting to the point that I'm considering replacing them. (They live outdoors 365...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cypress

You might try Texas Kiln Products in Smithville. They have all sorts of wood but mostly mesquite. I know they did have some Cyprus and there mill and outlet store are very close to you in Austin. They are just the other side of Bastrop on 71.

Thanks Gary. I can get to this one very easily.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function